stop and side indicators not working

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

stop and side indicators not working

Postby laba » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:03 am

Hi, this morning while coming to the office I had a double bad surprise: the side indicators don't work, either left or right. Then when I stopped I had a look to the tail and.. I noticed that the stop doesn't lights on.

I had a look to the rear lamp and is ok, then I checked the fuses and they seems to be ok (I just have to look better the 3,5A, it is so thin and with the poor morning light I could't be sure).

I have not the electric schema with me, so I can not chek if they are on the same electric line.

Any idea about what could happen? It sounds strange that the lights "wigwag" and front stop switch broke at the same exact time (the rear brake switch is broke since months: i have the spare part, but I can not unplug it from the nut and insert the new one, yet). Just to know, where is located the side lights intermittence? It is under the seat, the white componentclose to the fuses?

Two days ago i cleaned the left "commands" by using a cleaner spray for electric contacts, and put some grease to protect from the humidity (it is raining a lot, and the light button is broken so some water could enter). And two weekends ago I noticedf a black wire that had a light scratch on the protection, so i soldered it and put a thermic insulation on it. This evening i will check better if some wires could have the same issue, but I think is not the case: i had a deep look, two weekes ago, and everything was fine, and in addition i put some plastic protection to each wire.

Thanks a lot, I have also my old Africa Twin stopped because an electrical problem and I need at least a motorbike in perfect conditions to come to work :cry:
laba

Re: stop and side indicators not working

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:54 am

grease on switches ... some types conduct electric some do not

Dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby laba » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:22 am

Hi!

Yesterday I had a deeper look.

Fortunately for the brakes it was the switch: the contacts were quite oxided, and probably also inside. So i used a cleaner spry, and the it started again to work. Anyway, I bought the spare part, in case of need.

The indicators... I cleaned again, but still don't works: tomorrow i will open and check, but I don't think is because of grese. I altrready used it with my Africa Twin and never had a problem since years.
I want to buy a new relais, and check: can you tell me where is located? After a quick look, i haven't found it
laba

Postby KevinLS » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:35 am

It's not clear to me from your posts which model MZ you're having the problem with. I can only say that on my Scorpion Sport the flasher unit (side lights intermittence) is under the seat unit, held to the front section the oil tank with a screw. I believe this is the standard position. I did, in fact, experience a similar problem a couple of years ago and it was only fixed by replacing the flasher unit with a genuine replacement from Graham's. (Quite expensive as flasher units go, if I remember correctly.) Photo attached shows the flasher unit in-situ. I hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_1778redu.jpg
KevinLS

Postby laba » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:15 am

Hi.
I have a Baghira, bought on 2005.
Thanks a lot, after having a look to the drawings and removing the left side panel i found the flasher.
I found a spare part, cost 19€, that hase the same pins and wattage.
Yesterday evening, having just few minutes of spare time, I decided to mount the new one.
I used the battery tester to check what are the power and earth cable and... I noticed that no current comes to the flasher!!! Stupid me that didn't check ast week.
So it is possible that there is some interruptions in calbes, maybe on the handlebar command or some connectors. So, now I have to wait the weekend to have enought time to disassemble tank and check everything.
On sunday i tried to open the laft commands, and see if thre is some interruptions there, but i was able only to "open" the top part.
The lower is still "stuck" by a pin to the "Air control", I tried to separate but i wasn't sure to not broke something so I decided to wait and buy the new flasher first..

So, very likely the problem is in some cable cut/terminal disconnected..
laba

Postby laba » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:42 am

Just an update to this "strange" problem. THe issue of the flasher was due to.. the fuse!!! Stuoid me: i checked twice, the first time the first day I noticed the problem, and then few days late, when in the garage I was trying to understand. WHen I had a look to the fuse, the little plastic "window" at the top was clean but even with lights on I could not understand if it was ok or not. Stupid me that didn't check with the tester (I forgot at home) or with a greater fuse, because the 3A wasn't in my box. SO, this weekend I check every connector, lubricated with the right cleaner. The same with the left commands, checked all the calbes going to the flasher and protected better with the right insulation... then, last chance, I used a 5A and.. now it works!!!

So, it was the right occasion to clean and check everything (speedometer cable included), and also to clean the internal of the fairing (now the light is better than before!!) and have a look to the internal. But I also learnt that never and nver I can take anything for granted. Andthat standard fuses are very hard to be checked. What I excluded at the beginning (simoultaneous fail of stop sensor and lighter) was the right answer.
Thanks for support and I hope my mistake can help somebody else!
laba

Postby Blurredman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:03 pm

Glad that you got it sorted!

I once did the same! Albeit with a cylindrical glass type fuse.. The wire looked fine so went off searching for other way.

Now.. It's the first thing I look at, and even if it looks okay I replace for the testing!

:) at least you used the time to clean contacts for future longevity! I remember once when I was on a riding holiday on my Honda in crappy November, the left and right indicators, horn and brake light stopped working all because of corroded contacts!

Rear brake switch had caught fire a few days previous! Haha

Good luck for the future running! :)
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Return to 660 cc