rear suspension rebuild

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

rear suspension rebuild

Postby BRAAAP ! » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:24 pm

Hi,

I've just had the shock rebuilt and am having a go at the re-assemble. . .
I have nearly finished but am unsure of the procedure for tightening the rear-most bolt which attaches to the swingarm. .

anyone had a go at this ?, I'm having trouble getting it to tighten centrally. . .

:?

Ed.
Attachments
susp.jpg
susp.jpg (112.34 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
two wheels good, four wheels bad. . . .
BRAAAP !

Postby keithcross » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:14 pm

I carried out this task earlier this year, the bush in teh bottom of the rear shock went bad. Didnt have any problems though.
Just a thought, have any of the small collers in teh rearmost bearing broken, they are a litle fragile :oops:

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby Fil » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:20 am

I've just stripped and rebuilt my rear suspension - I didn't have any problems with the bit you mention, but one thing you may have to do is use a small open ended spanner (can't recall what size) to hold the flats on one end of the shaft that runs through the bearing assembly, while you tighten the nuts.
Hope that helps!
Fil

Postby BRAAAP ! » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:46 am

I’ve had all the rollers out of the double needle roller bearings at the back, re-grease’d the race and put all of the (62 !) rollers back in. The shaft with the tapered collars and plain collars looks ok and feels smooth when in place.
As you know the shaft is threaded on BOTH ends. When I tighten up one end (and hold the squared end on the other side ?) then move to the other side and tighten that up as well, the plastic collars don’t squish up evenly.
So I took the nuts off again and I noticed the plain collars on either end of the shaft had not gone in to the casting the same depth.

Being too picky am I ?
BRAAAP !

Postby BRAAAP ! » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:05 pm

problem solved, took it apart and re-assembled and seems to be ok, tightened up evenly using the method advised. . .

them gremlins again I guess :twisted:
BRAAAP !

Return to 660 cc