Baghira starter relay "buzzing"

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Baghira starter relay "buzzing"

Postby laba » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi, I ask some suggestion because my Baghira has a problem that is driving me crazy.
A coupole of months ago I washed the bike, because was too dirt of mud and salt. When I coma back home i heard the relay "buzzing", so I thought some water entered in some plugs or so on.
After a couple of days, when well dry. Nothing more.
Then a week later started again, even if no rain or water for days. I replaced the relay (that was more than 10 years old) and everythign ok.

Today, coming back home in the rain, when i stopped in the garage.. I head again the noise.

So, do I risk to "burn" something when the relay buzzes? I don't know how many km i drove inthis condition, but no more than 10.

Do you have any idea? Maybe is not connected, maybe is a sign. The neutral light stopped working for weekes, after some days was not working continuously. I thought was burnt, but still haven't had any time to replace. The side stand switch works,because if I release it with the gear inserted the engine stops.
TOday.. the neutral switch started working again. Could it be the switch defected, or maybe the water enters?
Thanks a lot!!!
laba

Re: Baghira starter relay "buzzing"

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:13 pm

really weird stuff can be from a bad ground or some thing shorted to ground thats not supposed to be grounded
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:22 pm

really nasty crud in the starter button on the handle bar

is a place to start
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby laba » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:26 am

Thanks David.
For sure i will start following the "power on cables", even if the first time happened on the handlebard were mounted the "covers" to protect my hands from the cold (i come back from the mountains, it was -5°) so I think that there were no water inside the right block.

Last year I had another electrical problem: even withthout the keys inside the lock the light were on!!! When i took away an usb power unit - defective - that was connected directly to the battery the problem disappeared. So I thought it was that usb stuf that was spreadin electric energy inside the system. And few times the rear buld socket were oxydized and the light switched on when I pressed the front brake.... So, somethign strange sometimes happens.
I red in the forum that the electricval system of our motorbikes is not so "strong", and I think I can confirm. I will be patient, and disassemble as much as I can to find any samll defect: i know could be a long hunt.

Thanks, i will keep you updated!
laba

Postby laba » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:05 am

Hi all, a little uodate.
This weekend I had some spare time, so I tried to understand something more.
I started soaking the side stand switch. When I rotated the key.. "brrrrrrrr", the relay started buzzing. So i disconnected the cable, under the tank, to see if it continue buzzing. It didn't. "Bingo, I found the problem".
_When I plugged again the switch.. the relay still didn't buzz.
So, I soaked other parts with electrical devices, and still didn't do any noise! I really can not undestand. The power on switch and cable are ok, I opened it.

I just don't know how to reach the neutral switch, I had a look on the left side, close to the gear shaft, but I didn't see any wire, excepted the one entering inside the carted close to the generator, and another little earthing cable just under the left carter. Do you have any suggestion how to check this?
Thanks!
laba

Return to 660 cc