Skorpion starting problems

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion starting problems

Postby ralf » Tue May 28, 2019 12:51 pm

For 15 years I've had starting problems on my 1995 Skorpion Tour. If I left it more than about 10 days it wouldn't start and the engine would simply churn over and over and over....... so much so that it's credit to the starter motor that it's still working. I've tried everything, new plugs, carb strips too many to mention etc. Cutting a very long story short, this winter I laid the bike up for the first time and winterised it, draining the carbs, a bit of oil in the plug holes etc. When I came to start it after five months, full of dread, I opened the fuel tap ( I've got it on gravity feed, no fuel pump) , operated the choke, hit the starter and it started, first push. Since then I've drained the carb after every ride and when I come to start it again it goes, first push. So what happens to fuel standing in the carb float bowl that doesn't happen to it in the tank? I don't know, all I can say is that draining the carb works for me. :D
Riding it is much more fun than polishing it.
ralf

Re: Skorpion starting problems

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue May 28, 2019 4:51 pm

the ethanol in the gas drys up and the fuel will not fire ..my rt125 has this problem
it i use real gas in it it starts and runs fine but with junk gas about 2 days and its a no starter
till you re-prime the carb been a problem for me since they changed to the junk goosolene
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby ralf » Wed May 29, 2019 2:30 am

My 500R doesn't suffer in the same way, leave that as long as you want and it will start. I get the point about ethanol in modern fuel but the Skorpion is the only machine I have which seems affected like this. Even my mowing machine starts easily!!
Riding it is much more fun than polishing it.
ralf

Postby dickl » Wed May 29, 2019 4:14 am

I agree, the solution is to drain the carbs before you park the bike up at the end of the day's riding. I found this out the hard way with both my Skorpions. I worked out by trial and error where I should turn the fuel off when nearing home, and made sure by leaving the bike(s) to run dry. It was only a matter of 20/30 seconds, so no issues with overheating. Next time (each time!), turn the fuel on, touch of choke and BINGO - I'm starting to miss my Skorpions!
Dickl
dickl

Postby tigcraft » Wed May 29, 2019 10:55 am

When I bought my Skorpion years ago the previous owner told me ‘ put choke on and give the starter a small burst then wait a few seconds and knock choke off then properly start it without choke till it fires then feather the choke back in to keep it running’. It’s always worked and I never questioned it.
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby lavrentyuk » Thu May 30, 2019 3:13 pm

My Sport has always behaved like this - hence the handy float drain screw.

I acquired a cheap Tour a couple of weeks ago on the basis it wouldn't start. If I'm lucky it will be the same problem.

If I can be bothered then running with closed fuel taps for the last period certainly helps, alternatively just riding the thing.

The other option is the water in the fuel tank issue.

Fingers crossed.
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
MuZ Skorpion Tour, ETZ 300 or two (one with a sidecar - really insane mode of transport), a couple of TS125s, ETZ 125, BMW R100S and an Enfield Interceptor for daily use.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Postby KevinLS » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:31 am

OK I'm going to try the running the float bowl dry trick. I've had the same issue with mine for many years, I ditched the fuel pump and changed the pilot jet to no real effect and finally took to carrying a syringe with me which I used to flood the carb whenever I left the bike for more than a couple of days. It's a bloody daft thing to have to do, but I couldn't find an alternative. The tank already has the ethanol pox so already I'm not too enamoured of that particular additive.
KevinLS

Postby breakwellmz » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:00 am

Yep, just switch the fuel tap off just before you stop and let it run until it falters if you aren`t going to use it for a week or more.
breakwellmz

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:41 am

with my rt125 its about 2 days and lean it against a telephone pole and drain the bowl
every time you fill up or about 2 blocks down the road it will die from the junk in the bowl
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Ally » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:18 am

turn the fuel tap off and run the bike until it stalls

when starting, tap on, clean fuel and starts no problem

:)
Ally

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:29 pm

on mine if you fuel up or go on reserve you better drain the bowl
or it will be a fight to make it run
dave

where i live is where they ship ALL the bad gas
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Return to 660 cc