MZ ETZ 125 Wheels newbie question

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MZ ETZ 125 Wheels newbie question

Postby bmartin1uk » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:51 am

Hi All

Please bare with me if this is a stupid question, but is it possible to buy larger width rims/wheels and tires that will fit the MZ ETZ 125. Are the wheels/rims necessary, or can you just buy chunky tires to fit the exsisting original 1986 setup. I'm really trying for that kind of monkey bike look. I'm also struggling with the tubeless tires that i currently have - do i have to buy special tyres to fit the current rims. I know this is all a little vague, but i was really just wondering where i would source them, the difficulties i would have fitting them, such as front wheel disc brake, rear wheel drum, shock clearance etc. Any advice, websites etc that you can give me is very much appreciated. By the way, i'm based in the UK.

I'm also having difficulties in translating the viscocity info in my haynes manual of the fork oil, in order to buy the right one. Any ideas again? Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Cheers

Ben
bmartin1uk

Re: MZ ETZ 125 Wheels newbie question

Postby djsbriscoe » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi,
Are you using cast wheels or spoked wheels? I'm sure you can only use tubed tyres if you have spoked wheels.As for fork oil just buy bog standard fork oil from Halfords, that's what I used when I had an ETZ.
Also, you might find this yahoo group useful.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mz_riders ... =330951138

David.
Bikes:2006 RT125 (sold Jan 2013),2001 Skorpion Traveller (sadly sold) Current bike Honda NC750X DCT (2014)
Past owner of original ETZ125,ETZ251,Kanuni ETZ251 models
Electronics tech by trade.
djsbriscoe

Postby bmartin1uk » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:24 am

Hi David

Thanks for the reply. The wheels definately have spokes, and there is currently tubeless tyres fitted. The bike isnt moving yet, i've just been replacing and servicing bits, learning as i go. So if it turns out i'm not supposed to have tubless tyres on it, then its probably best i learnt that now!! However, having said that, surely there would be a spot for the tube valve to come through the rim of the wheel, where instead i have a fixed valve?
So do you know of any 'oversized' tyres that fit the factory fit rims of the 1986 ETZ?
Thanks for the link and the shock oil advice. Much appreciated.

Thanks again

Ben
bmartin1uk

Postby Eric Frith » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:51 am

Are you sure you have fixed valves?. If you have spokes you will also have tubes..........or two flat tyres.

As regards oversize tyres, there's no point, just use the original sizes and the bike will be just fine.

Tubeless tyres are often able to run tubed without problems.
Eric Frith

Postby bmartin1uk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:24 am

Hi Eric

Thanks for the reply. The valves look pretty cast to the rims to me, but it sounds like i'm wrong on that one. I appreciate the bike will run just fine, it was just an aesthetics thing. Fancied having a slightly different look to the norm.
I'll do some more research and see what tyres i can get to fit the current rims.

Thanks for your advice

Ben
bmartin1uk

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:32 am

check it out good
bikes seem to have a problem some people can screw them up very quickly
current tires with tubes may be ok some sizes in tube type are hard to find some times now
big thing is correct size for bike and if spokes then tubes need installed

my saxon tour from 1995 has alloy rims but require a tubes its how the rim is shaped where the tire fits

check out whatever you do and do make sure it is correct
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby bmartin1uk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:18 am

Thanks for the reply Dave - From the posts here and on another forum, i think the key is to make sure that i have the 'right' tyres. I'll forget the aesthetics on this one and go with whats safe!
Thanks for all your advice guys
bmartin1uk

Return to 125 cc