push starts only

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

push starts only

Postby redlineharleys » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:28 am

hey guys,
first time here didnt even know mz's exzisted let a lone how long they have been around.I have a friends 2001 mz 125 she brought to me after it had been sitting a while.I put a fresh battery in it fresh fuel ,removed the carb and cleaned it well all jets and passages.The problem i'm having is the bike will not start off the starter it turns over well enough but dosnt seem to always get spark while the starter is being engaged, after checking a multitude of things batt: good , Carb : good , valve lash : good , engine compresion : ( 125 dry 180 wet )side stand switch : good , coil : good , sensor air gap : good , resistanse to cid box : good checked all grounds (removed cleaned and installed star washers) still will not start with starter button but if i try to push start it it starts within 4 feet? i have a servise manual , but its not very useful for this situation.any help would be much apreciated.
thanks Chris
redlineharleys

Re: push starts only

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:02 pm

this bike is fussy about starting if throttle is open when cranking make sure free play in throttle cable
is thereabout 2mm the idle adjustment should be from the idle screw left side of carb
not held open by the throttle cable or you twisting on the throttle handle
also try starting with a jump start battery running the starter and the on board battery
running the bike
and let us know what happens
dave
or is the starter actually cranking the motor or just spinning free
this model is bad about breaking the starter sprag (freewheel)
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby RChandler01 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi,

I wondered if you got this sorted, i have just bought a 125 SM, no probs for about a day. No when I try and start it on with the electric starter, there is just a wizzing noise. I can get it bump started. Any advice would be appreciated. PS this bike has been stood for a while but started quite regurlarly.

Regards

Richard
RChandler01

Postby stephendacosta » Sun May 16, 2010 6:00 am

That problem would be a starter freewheel clutch gone bad. I am awaiting a parts quote from a guy in Texas who the factory in Germany says is a USA parts distributor(as of May2010). If you are in a hurry, Grahams in England has them available for $254 delivered to the US. --Steve
Stephen DaCosta
1995 Skorpion Sport; ten-MZ 125's;2009 BMW G650GS;1981 GS450 Suzuki Roadracer
stephendacosta

Return to 125 cc