125 SM, SX running cost

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

125 SM, SX running cost

Postby unpro » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:25 pm

Hi, My name is Ramizan, residing in Malaysia. I wonder if any malaysian user can enlighten me on the maintenace cost for the MZ125 sm/rx as I'm planning to purchase one.

Typically I would like to know the OEM price for air filter, oil filter, oil change, gearbox oil, tyres and what ever that needed to be changed every service.
Future Mat Rempit of the deadly MRR2 highway
unpro

oil filter cost

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:11 pm

hello

the oil filter here in the states is K&N 151 also used on bmw f650

oil i uses is sold by yamaha dealers here as for yamaha 4 cycle bikes
with a wet oiled clutch
parts here are not cheap but dont seem to be over priced compaired
to other things from europe
keep in mind the sm sx where you are may be partly or completly
assemblyed in your country made from parts from everywhere

i like my rt125 its a nice bike
ar dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Re: oil filter cost

Postby unpro » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:26 pm

[quote="DAVID THOMPSON"]hello

the oil filter here in the states is K&N 151 also used on bmw f650

oil i uses is sold by yamaha dealers here as for yamaha 4 cycle bikes
with a wet oiled clutch
parts here are not cheap but dont seem to be over priced compaired
to other things from europe
keep in mind the sm sx where you are may be partly or completly
assemblyed in your country made from parts from everywhere

i like my rt125 its a nice bike
ar dave[/quote]

Got to envy the mods you can put on your bikes in the states...
unpro

Re: 125 SM, SX running cost

Postby iskarin » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:30 am

unpro wrote:Hi, My name is Ramizan, residing in Malaysia. I wonder if any malaysian user can enlighten me on the maintenace cost for the MZ125 sm/rx as I'm planning to purchase one.

Typically I would like to know the OEM price for air filter, oil filter, oil change, gearbox oil, tyres and what ever that needed to be changed every service.

Hi Dude!

Well i am a new rider myself. Recently i get d MZ125 sm and it was a used bike(2nd hand). As for the maintenance wise (internal failure cost i have no idea) but for basic stuff like the oil filter K&N 151 if not mistaken u can get it for RM 40+ (The workshop i went chg me RM40.00) for the oil chg its adviseable to use the 4 stroke semi synthatic oil that gonna cost vary from RM 20++ depending on brand. For the tyre i never bought 1 yet but from the workshop they inform me its roughly its cost around RM 200++. Well for every service i chg the oil filter as well as the engine oil and ask them to chk on the water level in the water filter than some other common stuff like the brakes and the suspension. If somehow someone more experience can correct me if i m wrong or maybe something that i left out i really2 appreciate it.
iskarin

Postby jbthumper » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:11 pm

Hey everyone,

if i'm not mistaken the OEM oil filter is RM28.00
and watch oul for your chain sliders(the rubber on your left swing arm pivot)
it wears out easily.(new one costs RM28.00)
The last time i bought the air filter it was RM45.00
Don't buy OEM clutch cable....they suck :lol:
Hope u'll like your MZ!!
jbthumper

Postby unpro » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:07 am

OEM air filter at RM28 - RM45
Tyres at RM200++ each
Oil filter?
Gearbox oil?

Iskarin, did you spend around RM150 per service?

Comparatively this is slightly more expensive than my car. :(
unpro

Postby iskarin » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:46 am

Well it doesnt cost me that much thou. :shock: U dont have to chg ur oil filter every month and the same thing with the rest of the parts. Most ppl that i refer to always advise me to chg the engine oil with the oil filter together after certain milage achieved on the road. (In my case i do it after every 3000 km, which is i nvr reach yet) The reason for me to chg some parts and service it after the 1st month since i nvr knew the previous owner maintenance routine. But since the engine oil its only around RM20+ i'll make it a point to chg it every month and service it at the same time (Coz heard lots of bad feedback from a few local mechanic saying it maintenance are quite troublesome so they advise me to service it monthly and look after the engine oil and few other stuff. Its the same thing with the MZ Moskito). :!:
So far i only spend for the oil filter and the engine oil total RM 65.00. I believe the cost of service are vary from time to time depending on ur bikes needs. OK ;-)
iskarin

Postby unpro » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Thank you very much iskarin! :)

Most people say this scrambler are troublesome, expensive maintenance. But I always wonder how much is expensive? And expensive compared to what? Low maintenance Honda Ex5? Well, that bike is going to break in 40 pieces if I take down a flight of stairs (mind you, I will, with a scrambler)...

Maybe I will go for the cheaper, simpler, nitro ranger... (sorry mz riders)
unpro

Postby iskarin » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:35 pm

Maybe I will go for the cheaper, simpler, nitro ranger... (sorry mz riders)[/quote]

Well u know some cheaper things come with a high long term price.
:D. Already survey the price thou of course its only will cost u around RM 5K - 7K but have u ever met or ask anyone bout the maintenance cost or the part availability? From what i've heard nitro are more troublesome brand compare to MZ. Even the scooter range are problematic wait till u try the performance type. I remember asking a local dealer a few weeks back about this bike. They claim currently the spare parts are hard to found locally and to order it takes a while. Futhermore they dont even had extra if anything went wrong on the display bikes. :roll: Well if u dont believe me go and ask around and decide wisely bro! The choice is in ur hand. Anyway all the best.
iskarin

Postby unpro » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:05 am

yeah, those are the known common problem. Not many shops actually service that bike. Not many rider like that bike either. It is big and bulky and has a not so powerful 4 stroke engine.

I am actually expecting the same problem with the SM too :p

But we'll see, maybe I just go for the low maintenance honda wave, but that thing is really now suitable for highways. Both the sm and nitro are large heavy bikes, more suitable for cruising and ploughing through flood...
unpro

Return to 125 cc