ts 125

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

ts 125

Postby bungo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:30 pm

hi i am new to mz,s and haveing just got a ts 125 witch has been stood 4 sometime. i have got going , the thing is its a bitch to start . its had new plug, petrol , battery . just wonderd if i should put in new points and condenser to c if that helps .any help wellcome ...
bungo

Re: ts 125

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:26 pm

the points may look good but if they have been in the bike for a long time
the return spring may loose its tension and be weak
thus not returning the points to contact each other
when the rpm goes above 2000 rpm
idle is ok but will not speed up
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby bungo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:53 am

the bike runs spot on when going its just when u try to start it . have to bump it off.
bungo

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:04 pm

may have lost some compression as rings lost tension from setting
bump it off and give it a good run for a few hundred km
to seat the rings also give it a compression check cold and then warm
may have bad rings from setting
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Old Dog » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:08 pm

Have you done a systematic check of the electrics and fuel systems. I would strip and clean the carb and look for crud in the jets.

Check for a big fat spark and that the timing is good.

Give the gearbox oil a sniff - if it smells of petrol you'll need to do the crank seals.

If you can pop the head it would worth a look to see how coked it is.

Starting procedure is ignition off, choke on two or three good kicks, choke off ignition on and kick to start. You may need to use the choke once she starts if she is a little lean. No throttle, untll she starts.

Also it worth giving the various earth points a clean up too.

Let us know how you get on
All the best

Old Dog

He hath no grave, is covered with the sky and the way to heaven out of all places is like in length and distance
Old Dog

Postby bungo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:06 am

been out today and took plug out it was all black and when i put it against the head it had intermintent spark so swopped it 4 a new one and off it went stright away.
bungo

Postby Old Dog » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:59 am

Excellent but you're not out of the woods yet. The 2Ters are brilliant tough little bikes that are very reliable if you set them up right first. Most of them in my experience have been bodged about till it is a wonder they run at all.

Step 1 Get a manual. Perferrably Haynes and OE from MZriders club UK. But OE at a minumum.
Step 2. Clean the carb out thoroughly.
Step 3. Clean out tank. Use a decent premix oil and don't over do it. Follow the recommendations. It should burn clean when hot.
Step 4. Replace points and condensor and set up ignition correctly. If you have the time and the cash the MZ-b ignition system will convert it to 12volt and it will make the bike sing. Brilliant!
Step 5. Set up the carb according to manual.
Step 6 Tune carb in according to manual to allow for individual bike and wear on carb.

Step 7 Call me if you decide to get rid of it - lovely machines!!

Come back and let us know how you get on.
All the best

Old Dog

He hath no grave, is covered with the sky and the way to heaven out of all places is like in length and distance
Old Dog

Postby bungo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:15 pm

can anybody tell me the correct oil to petrol ratio, as someone told me it was 50-1, and the hand book says 33-1, i persume that the hand book will be right. and old dog if ya ever up my way pop in n have a look , i live in huddersfield . west yorks . and is there a local mz meet . thanks.
bungo

Postby Old Dog » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:54 am

You want to ask that question on MZriders forum in Yahoo groups. I personally would use a good semi-synth at 50:1 (I know some who use fully-synth at 100:1) but if you're feeling paranoid then go with the handbook. Oils are much better than anything they produced in the DDR back then, but better safe than sorry.

Would love to pop over sometime, unfortunately I am work Sundays...

Drop a few snaps for us to lust over and let us know how you get on.
All the best

Old Dog

Old Dog

Return to 125 cc