Battery not being charged in cold weather

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Battery not being charged in cold weather

Postby Joe36a » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi recently it's been really cold where I live below 0 for the last fortnight I have noticed my bike hasn't been very willing to start :x tonight as I left work the battery ran out after trying to start the bike three times. I bump started it and drove 20 miles home in the cold when I got home I tried starting it again when I put it in the garage however the battery had not charged enough I know that when it's cold batteries don't charge well because th chemical reaction inside them doesn't happen has any body made a battery jacket to stop the battery from getting so cold or does any body have the same issue or a solution ? The bikes a 125 sx by the way and th battery is a yuasa ? The battery is a yuasa one that was fitted by the garage. Cheers Joe
Joe36a

Re: Battery not being charged in cold weather

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:24 pm

in zero weather in either temp scale c or f getting a 125 started is a chore
i stuffed a big one in my rt125 last fall will send you the number later this week end
but being different it may not fit in the sm sx models and in the rt125 it has to be removed to add water
and some of the wiring harness has to move a bit and the side cover has to be modified
i run the bike off of it and crank to start with a portable jump battery carried in the side box
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby jbbishop2 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:59 pm

I have an Interstate Batteries IB10L-B2 in my 2003 125SX, with 160 CCA. It's bigger than the stock battery but it does fit. It doesn't get down to 0 degrees here but that battery has been in the bike for at least four years.
jbbishop2

Postby radiograf » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:10 am

Just a few thoughts on battery charging. As most bike batteries have a small capacity, they should only be charged at 1amp or less. Never use a car charger as they operate at 4amps. Personaly I use an Optimate charger, which as its computerised moniters the charging rate, so can be left on for a long time. They are ideal if you are laying the bike up for winter, as nothing kills a battery quicker than leaving the alarm on for a couple of months, as it drains the battery compleatly. If you're on 6volts, they do a duel volt version called the Accumate.
I would also recommend a weekly charge up anyway, as you never put back into the battery what you take out on start up.
Of course, one of the main reasons that it is more difficult to start in winter, is that the oil becomes thicker as it gets colder. Check in your hand book if you can use a lighter weight oil during the winter months. An old trick is to throw a blanket over the bike whilst it is still warm, just make sure you don't get it on the hot exhaust!
You could also wrap the battery in bubble wrap.
radiograf

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:21 am

a 194 light bulb in series with the plus lead will keep the current under control from a big battery charger
or a 12volt power supply if thats all you have
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby jbbishop2 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:17 pm

You might consider one of the LiFePO4 batteries, like the Shorai LFX14A1-BS12. They seem to be between 2 and 3 times the price of a standard lead-acid battery, but they are a lot smaller and lighter, apparently don't need a tender/charger, and hold their charge for a year or two without charging. The price difference gets smaller when you consider the $50+ for an Optimate (which looks like an excellent charger). The LFX14A1-BS12 is rated at 12 Ah and 210 CCA, which should be way plenty for our 125s.

There's a review at http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... attery.htm
jbbishop2

Postby Joe36a » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:43 am

Thanks for the advice I have since topped up the battery and charged it I've also made a jacket from a car windscreen reflector it's like foil with bubble wrap inside and it works better. However now my starter clutch/sprag has gone for the second time in 3 months I haven't taken it apart to check however it has the same symptoms as last time so I will check later today. I've also fitted a easy charge kit ( long wires that tuck away).
Joe36a

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:05 am

item 3
3 3743050005 VIBRATION DAMPER

in the parts book is a 2way slip clutch
i had to take mine apart and clean and sand it it was galled
and readjust the nut on it so it would slip some
11 or 12 foot pounds
details on request
it stops slipping once in a while and kills the sprage clutch

they say not field adjustable but it is if you understand how it works
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Postby Joe36a » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:44 am

I have stripped the engine and the sprag has completely come apart much to my irritation as they cost £125 each. Please can you give me more details of how you adjusted the damper I have never done this before. Thanks Joe
Joe36a

Return to 125 cc