My new (old) MZ

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: My new (old) MZ

Postby tomx » Fri May 31, 2013 3:19 am

Thanks Dave,
I must say I always go for the mechanical parts before the cosmetic bit, but the MZ is so solid I've not had much to do!

It will be a daily driver, snow permitting, as my ST1100 is a little heavy on fuel, and I like the little MZ. As for security, it goes from one secure garage to another, and anyone else would have to wrestle it from a scary looking 135kg (300lb) seriously angry bloke first! Any other time it will have an Abus shackle lock fitted.

Should get the ignition sorted today, I hope. Two condensors does confuse me a little. At least I now have a spare.
tomx

Postby tomx » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:57 am

New points, new condensors, new coil. Good spark, set as close as I can get it, and still it won't run.

I have also fitted a new carburretor to see if it was that playing up, but now I am at the point of despair.

When it ran,it started easily, but misfired under load. Now it won't fire at all (as least not without a box of matches and a rag in the fuel tank....)
tomx

Postby tomx » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Latest picture. New exhaust and downpipe.
Running badly, but nobody all that interested. Maybe I'll stick to Hondas.... :)
tomx

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:03 pm

my rt125 2002,s weak spot has been electrical ever since new
wires of poor quality spade lugs fall off the end of wires and will not take solder to put them back on
look at electrical
old 55 to 1969 bmws were very good bikes and had a good electrical system
but at about 10 years i had to rewire almost every one i have owned
the copper inside the insulation just Disappeared
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby tomx » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:25 am

I know what you mean. This bike has spent plenty of its life in the wet, as much of the alloy was corroded, and all of the wiring I've dealt with so far has needed a good clean. So far they are working once cleaned up. The one or two that are useless have been completely replaced, end to end.
Thanks.
Tom
tomx

Previous

Return to 125 cc