Newbies MZ 125 ETZ aka Moose

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Newbies MZ 125 ETZ aka Moose

Postby Hazel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi all, I've not long bought my first bike (it came with the name Moose) and am yet to get it MOT'd and do my CBT...

It's a little bit of a project.

The wiring is not the best, I'm going off this diagram to try and sort it out:

But the colour of the wires on the bike don't match the diagram.

And I'm not sure what the white and yellow wires are for here and the black thing in-between them. Anyone know?

And where would I find the voltage regulator, or perhaps someone could show a picture of it?
There's something with only 3 wires going to it 'Lucas NBC403' which I'm guessing is an indicator relay even-though there aren't any indicators on the bike.

What improvements would you suggest - solid state rectifier or electronic ignition? Has anyone ever done it and what have they used? Is it worth doing?
Hazel

Re: Newbies MZ 125 ETZ aka Moose

Postby arry_b » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:12 pm

What's the problem with the wiring / bike? is it not charging? Not starting?

That's a home-made wiring loom you've got there. The colours are far from the genuine ones but it looks to have been nicely executed.

The Lucas NCB403 you have is an electronic regulator, normally a very reliable piece of kit, and far better than the mechanical original.

Electronic ignition is of limited value unless you're going to do many miles and keep the bike for a long time. The "red box" electronic ignition fitted to later bikes is very unreliable as it ages.

Also - from the picture:

It looks like a decent start for a project you've got there. Some points:

You'll need indicators if the bike is after 1985 for a UK MOT.
Someone's removed the autolube system so you'll need to be running 50:1 premix.
They've also cut down the rear mudguard so the light's at the wrong angle and the bike will spray sh*te all over itself. The exhaust is from an early TS or an ES, so may be worth more than you'd think.
Sidestand conversion looks nicely done, but the centre stand is far more useful. Do check for rust around the "foot" under the engine though.

Enjoy your project, they’re great little bikes to ride once they're sorted out.
arry_b

Postby Blurredman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:10 pm

That footrest/side stand look to be from a CG125, I recognise the foot rubbers.

1986 is the cut off point for indicators arry_b, namely April. However, I've had bikes on the road that are only a few years old relatively and they passed MOT (it all depends on the examiner). But really, Indicators are a nice addition to have if for the sake of having access to two brakes when coming up to a junction. :lol:

As long as the bike's electrics are working then i'd leave it. Fun little project you have there, are you going to repaint it a single colour at some point? :D
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby therealche » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:12 am

Or you could paint every bit different colours?

ES250 Doppelport, ES250, ES250/1, ES250/2,ETS 250, ES150, ETS150, BK350, IWL Pitty, SR56 Wiesel, SR59 Berlin, Troll............ and thats just the German two strokes!
http://thecomeconcollection.blogspot.com/
therealche

Postby Hazel » Sat May 31, 2014 2:07 pm

Some of the wiring connections are not the best, I was told it had been rewired before I bought it but it’s a poor job. The bike was first registered in 1988 so I need to put indicators on, and I think it’ll be better/safer to have them anyway.

Cheers for the info. Why would they cut the rear mudguard - seems silly to me.
I had a cheeky look on ebay at the TS/ES exhausts but they didn’t seem to be going for much. I would like to get the correct exhaust though - so if anyone wants this one/has the one for this bike pm me? I’ve managed to pick up an ETZ bike frame with the centre stand but can’t work out how to get it off? Not sure if they’ve put it on backwards to be honest.

Blurredman as if you recognise the footrest/side stand from the rubbers, fair play. I have a lot to learn and I’m prepared for the education that’s coming…

I’ve just ordered myself a manual so I can really get started on this soon…
And I have got the mud guards, tank and other bits and pieces powder coated, nato green (probably over done but I like the army look). Unfortunately there was a hole in the tank which was covered up with filler - so yep, I picked up a new one when I got the new frame/centre stand.

I like the idea of painting every bit different colours but not for this project. Reminds me of the VW Polo harlequin:
Hazel

Return to 125 cc