Timing/Kit/jets..then bust!

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Timing/Kit/jets..then bust!

Postby ptong » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:27 am

Hi folks,

well at long last I got around to using the timing adjustment kit from Ksports in California I bought. Made the adjustments which was a little trouble but ok. Then rejetted the stock carb with a 107.5 jet up from a 100. Put it all back together and gave her a run. I have to say it needed tuning but great throttle responbse and alot more pull I was very happy.

However checked my oil and it was creamy.... SH*** F*** M***F******

Not a happy camper. The coolant leaked into the engine somehow and it seems to have been a blown head gasket. Having done everything with an attention to detail and some mates who have been doing this for years I investigated further. Well it turns out that the 150 kit has been a problem for some other fellas in that the cylinder that is pressed in doesnt quite sit right and rocks ever so slightly which blows the gasket!! Anyway apparently this was the case on the older ones, there is now a new one that has sorted the issue... Still many dollars wasted. Goddamit.

Anyway thats whats what. Oh and someone posted on another topic that the kit wasn't worth it for the extra 25cc's... If you can afford it I would say go for it as it does make a difference in that it gives you what feels like the power the bike should have across the range in all gears. I guess it depends on how far you want to take it. I am not sure I want to go back to a 125 after the 150... my 2 cents
ptong
ptong

Postby jbthumper » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:28 pm

ptong,when you said that there was a rocking...on which part were you referring to???is it a product defect??or installation error??

and what did you get out of the box for the 150cc kit??
ksport only gives a general idea of it on thier website...

thanks.

p/s:i respect your view on the 150cc kit. 8)
:smt033
jbthumper

Postby ptong » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:49 pm

hey thumper,

the issue as I understand it is that they press in a new cylinder lining, but that on the earlier versions this wasn't seated correctly. So you get some movement.

I bought the kit from another dealer in the states no KSPOrt, I bought the timing kit from them. The 150 comes with block, wiseco piston, rings, and block and head gaskets.

hope that helps.;
ptong
ptong

Postby jbthumper » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:59 pm

wow!!it comes with the block huh???i though they just give you the sleeve/lining....now that's a different story....worth it,i'd say.....
do you know if ksport give the same package??same price tag??
jbthumper

Postby ptong » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:15 pm

yeah new block for sure.

I am sure the pricing is relatively standard.

Its the shipping that kills me.
ptong
ptong

Postby jbthumper » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:31 pm

ptong wrote:Its the shipping that kills me.

if that's what it does to you...imagine what it would do to me :shock: :lol:

anyway.....thanks dude!
jbthumper

Postby builtone » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:09 pm

So where are we getting the new 150 kit? :lol:
builtone

Return to 125 cc