RT handlebar woes

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

RT handlebar woes

Postby Old Dog » Tue May 27, 2014 7:25 am

Hi,
Has anyone fitted aftermarket bars to these bikes without changing cables etc. I picked one up some time ago with bent bars and the OME is 90 quid so any makes or models/suppliers which actually fit would be appreciated.

Many thanks
All the best

Old Dog

He hath no grave, is covered with the sky and the way to heaven out of all places is like in length and distance
Old Dog

Re: RT handlebar woes

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue May 27, 2014 10:33 am

have a bar for my R50S magura L359-00
held it up to the rt125 and boy is it close
do not know the price it was in my parts bin from when i bought out a shop that closed over 30 years ago
dave
had one like it on r51/3 sidecar rig
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby stephendacosta » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Most 7/8" bars will fit. However, it is necessary to compare the total length, so as to not go beyond the cable/wire length. If you have access to a band saw, the bars can be trimmed to fit. From 2001 and newer, the switch assembly has a protrusion to prevent rotation. This protrusion fits into a hole in the bottom of the bar; new bars must be drilled. The rotation comes when applying the choke(rotational application chokes are integral with the light switch assy.) The SX dirt-only models with no lights have a choke on the clutch lever bracket.

Have you thought of straightening your bent bar? This can be accomplished with a pipe that fits over the bar end when the throttle is removed(for that side) or the grip is removed(for the clutch side). If you do not have someone to hold the motorcycle, it must be secured to a pole, or some other object that will be able to resist the power applied to the bar. It is really quite easy with the stock bar; there is not much tempering of the steel.---Steve
Stephen DaCosta
1995 Skorpion Sport; ten-MZ 125's;2009 BMW G650GS;1981 GS450 Suzuki Roadracer
stephendacosta

Postby XCalsteRX » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:01 pm

Hello,

I've ordered myself some Renthal 755 handlebars and waiting for them to be delivered. Once I have them fitted I'll let you know how they are and upload a picture to, unfortunately I was involved in a motorcycle accident last weekend and bike got a bit scrapped up as well as myself now in crutches, so I'm now taking the opportunity to do her up a bit. Also I'm afraid that's how my bars bent otherwise I'd give them you.

May open a topic updating everyone on how its going. And maybe put a video up youtube
XCalsteRX

Postby XCalsteRX » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:24 pm

Hello, I've now fitted my Renthal 755's and they fit great, they are slightly wider at 28 Inch's but that's cut down from the original size but I prefer the wider feel and also there is still enough play in the cables just make sure they are all wired correctly and nothing will tug when turning the bars side to side.

Hope this helps and if you need anything else just ask. Picture attached of what my handlebars look like now, also they are a lot, lot lighter.
Attachments
IMG_3253[1].JPG
XCalsteRX

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:14 pm

hope your going to replace the mirrors.
where i live cars travel just a fraction of an inch off your right or left ELBOW
at any speed from parked to faster than your bike will go...

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby XCalsteRX » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Hello David, don't worry the mirrors are back on..thought it was best taking a picture before refitting them to allow you to see more of the bars that's all. And I can believe it!
XCalsteRX

Return to 125 cc