supermoto may be safe, but 95 year old men still drive cars

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

supermoto may be safe, but 95 year old men still drive cars

Postby jawzx » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:47 am

well, I came back to let you all you guys know that my SM and I had a little "encounter" with a 1977 Mercedes 450 convertible, driven by a 95 year old man, and here I see a (tounge in cheek) pool about wether you think Supoermotos are the safest motorcycles... If you didn't already know I'm here to provide a timely reminder that no matter how safe your bike is, other drivers are the real danger. I'm not saying "Don't ride a motor cycle", in fact i plan to be back on a bike as soon as I can pull the clutch again and my left wrist has decent bone integrity. Just saying "Be carefull ou there!"

Even in a low speed collision with a car (mine was less than 20 mph), a motorcycle looses. My poor little SM wasn't too badly damaged, but when it fell over the shift lever took a good whack and the tranny is leaking oil, due to the low value of the bike the insurance company wants to call it a total loss, even though there was no frame or even plastic damage! The forks got twisted in the clamps, the clutch lever was mangled and the mirrors got badly bent (by my low-flying pass over the top of them)... The other driver is totaly at fault and his insurance is going to pay for my trip to the emergency room via ambulance, the re-constructuve surgury on my wrist, and some pain and suffering too, but in the mean time my riding season is over before summer even really hit!

Be carefull out there guys, and watch out for old men behind the wheel of big old german cars!
2002 125-SM
jawzx

parts

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:15 am

buy it back from the insurance company
then buy a new one and use the wreck for parts

so you dont have to wait for mzna to ship you a part :smt015

:smt040
Last edited by DAVID THOMPSON on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby jbthumper » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:54 am

sorr to hear that jawzx....
hope you'll recover in a jiff...

true what you said....a bike is only and will only be a bike...not an amoured tank... :)
:smt033
jbthumper

Re: supermoto may be safe, but 95 year old men still drive c

Postby mxsteven » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:48 am

uhhh so sori to hear that.... anyway glad that u r safe... yeah i always avoid german tankers.... but i did bang german tanker with my car before... i hit behind the tanker, the tanker was ok but just a minor scratch but my car was nearly total... which my radiator breaks, aircond cooler broke, my turbo intercooler gone, my turbine and my extractor gone... the whole engine move back... shit mannnnn..... it cost me nearly 7k to do up back and my lovely carbon fiber hood just gone with the wind.... :(

anyway this teach me a lesson not to boost behind german tanker or the tanker will boost ur wallet... :-D

jawzx wrote:well, I came back to let you all you guys know that my SM and I had a little "encounter" with a 1977 Mercedes 450 convertible, driven by a 95 year old man, and here I see a (tounge in cheek) pool about wether you think Supoermotos are the safest motorcycles... If you didn't already know I'm here to provide a timely reminder that no matter how safe your bike is, other drivers are the real danger. I'm not saying "Don't ride a motor cycle", in fact i plan to be back on a bike as soon as I can pull the clutch again and my left wrist has decent bone integrity. Just saying "Be carefull ou there!"

Even in a low speed collision with a car (mine was less than 20 mph), a motorcycle looses. My poor little SM wasn't too badly damaged, but when it fell over the shift lever took a good whack and the tranny is leaking oil, due to the low value of the bike the insurance company wants to call it a total loss, even though there was no frame or even plastic damage! The forks got twisted in the clamps, the clutch lever was mangled and the mirrors got badly bent (by my low-flying pass over the top of them)... The other driver is totaly at fault and his insurance is going to pay for my trip to the emergency room via ambulance, the re-constructuve surgury on my wrist, and some pain and suffering too, but in the mean time my riding season is over before summer even really hit!

Be carefull out there guys, and watch out for old men behind the wheel of big old german cars!
Where u go, it's up to u,
Where u ride, it's in ur hand,
What u think, it's in ur mind,
Think b4 u do, Ride safe.

MXsteven
mxsteven

part-out?

Postby jawzx » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:46 pm

ok, so my riding season is over, and I've been thinking about upgrading to a Baghira... If I were (this is an IF only!) buy the bike back from the insurance company and part it out, who'd be interested?

Known good parts:
plastics (black)
carb
right-hand controls
rear wheel/sprocket
rear suspension (Paoli)/swing-arm
brakes (master cylinders, calipers and rotors)
lights
instruments (6700 kilometers on odometer)
electronics, switches, horn, etc
radiators
seat
lots of little stuff

Possible good parts:
engine (leaking oil from shift lever, alternator cover scuffed, starts and seems to run OK)
front wheel (maybe can be straightened)
forks (twisted in the clamps, but not binding or grabby...maybe damaged inner tubes though)
tripple clamps (see above)
left-hand switches (clutch lever bent, but switches seem ok)
frame (does not appear to be bent, but head bearing seats may be toast, maybe weld point damage at head)

let me know what the level of interest is...
I'm still getting over the shock of loosing my bike and breaking my wrist, havn't decided 100% to get another SM125, in which case I'd probly keep the bike myself for parts... just fishing at this point.
2002 125-SM
jawzx

Re: part-out?

Postby mxsteven » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:02 am

im very intrested with everything.... but the price would be killer if u mail it from US to MY..... the primary part i needed is ur carb... how many mm is ur carb?

jawzx wrote:ok, so my riding season is over, and I've been thinking about upgrading to a Baghira... If I were (this is an IF only!) buy the bike back from the insurance company and part it out, who'd be interested?

Known good parts:
plastics (black)
carb
right-hand controls
rear wheel/sprocket
rear suspension (Paoli)/swing-arm
brakes (master cylinders, calipers and rotors)
lights
instruments (6700 kilometers on odometer)
electronics, switches, horn, etc
radiators
seat
lots of little stuff

Possible good parts:
engine (leaking oil from shift lever, alternator cover scuffed, starts and seems to run OK)
front wheel (maybe can be straightened)
forks (twisted in the clamps, but not binding or grabby...maybe damaged inner tubes though)
tripple clamps (see above)
left-hand switches (clutch lever bent, but switches seem ok)
frame (does not appear to be bent, but head bearing seats may be toast, maybe weld point damage at head)

let me know what the level of interest is...
I'm still getting over the shock of loosing my bike and breaking my wrist, havn't decided 100% to get another SM125, in which case I'd probly keep the bike myself for parts... just fishing at this point.
Where u go, it's up to u,
Where u ride, it's in ur hand,
What u think, it's in ur mind,
Think b4 u do, Ride safe.

MXsteven
mxsteven

Return to 125 cc