mz 125 sm problem/carb

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

mz 125 sm problem/carb

Postby Mzedian » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:53 pm

wondering of anyone can help me with this problem, basically I have installed a 'universal' exhaust on my bike to add abit more sound as well as performance, but recently the bike has been running abit funny, when going along at higher speeds, once you change gear it bogs down then picks up again but does this when your 'giving the beans' but it also happens every now and then whilst cruising, I believe it to be the carb as that seems to be the only explanation as I haven't re jetted since putting it on and now there is more air being pushed out, so it may need more fuel? But also I had a problem with the carb overflowin. I presumed this to be the float and had it changed but this problem has not gone away as I notice every time I stop there is fuel on the floor from the overflow pipe on the bottom of the carb.
Can anyone give me any ideas on how to resolve this problem as I wanted to have the bike running nice and smooth again
Thanks.
Mzedian

Re: mz 125 sm problem/carb

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:18 pm

lots of luck on finding jets better to put the stock pipe on it if it is serviceable..
the factory had these tuned to max and trying to get more usually results in bad running and bad gas milage

and a carb clean up and float adjustment is needed
the shut off needle is not shutting things off

use gas with no ethanol
look up your state and city at
http://pure-gas.org/
it may not go faster but it will run better
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Mzedian » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:03 pm

Thanks for the reply will get into it, thanks
Mzedian

Postby stephendacosta » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:30 pm

Having ten 125MZ's, I can attest to the stock muffler working best, even when a free flowing can has been properly jetted for. Tried at least 5 other options with inferior results.
A few of mine will reach 130 km/hr down hill with a stock muffler. A couple of them wanted one size up on the main jet. A weak running bike usually needs cam timing.
Like Dave says, the float needle isn't seating; usually a good cleaning will remedy the drip. Make sure the petcock is off when the engine is off.--Steve
Stephen DaCosta
1995 Skorpion Sport; ten-MZ 125's;2009 BMW G650GS;1981 GS450 Suzuki Roadracer
stephendacosta

Return to 125 cc