125 SM bad cylinder and piston

SM, SX, RT, FunX, and models re-branded as ATK in U.S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

125 SM bad cylinder and piston

Postby supermotochick » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:27 am

Hi all!

I'm new here but not new to MZ. Bought my 125SM brand new in fall of 2005. The bike has been babied (I never even let anyone else ride it) and was in perfect shape with only 350km on it when our river paid us a visit last winter. Sadly, I couldn't get the bike out in time... Insurance has covered it but when the shop got it running, they said there was blowby past the rings, which were stuck in their grooves, and eventually the bike lost compression. The shop pulled the top end apart and said they could not get parts so insurance is going to total it. They are not valuing it high at all ($1650 for a basically brand new rare bike) and haven't given me the buyback amount. But I'd really like to buy it back and fix it.

The odd thing is, however, that there is a very deep score mark in the cylinder, almost as if a little pebble had gotten in there (perhaps when they checked compression? because no parts of the bike had been apart before and it should not have ingested anything from the river but who knows).

At any rate, I would love to either find a new cylinder, piston and rings with related parts, or a low mile good used engine, or a place to bore out the cylinder and sleeve it or... open to suggestions.

On a slightly different note, Geico told me that if I can find a couple of shops that know these bikes and can provide a better value for them, they would reconsider their valuation. If anyone on here knows of such shops (preferably near Washington state), please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Julia
supermotochick

Re: 125 SM bad cylinder and piston

Postby stephendacosta » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:18 am

So sad to have your MZ sunk. A good machine shop should be able to sleeve the cylinder. Is the piston damaged? If not, a set of rings and a gasket set might be all you need. The sleeve could be bored to the old piston. Graham's in UK might have parts. They are prompt at answering email inquiries. You have first right to purchase the totaled vehicle. It is usually around $300 for a total. ---Steve
Stephen DaCosta
1995 Skorpion Sport; ten-MZ 125's;2009 BMW G650GS;1981 GS450 Suzuki Roadracer
stephendacosta

Re: 125 SM bad cylinder and piston

Postby Elexiledone » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:33 pm

I have a motor from an SM if you are still looking
Elexiledone

Return to 125 cc