Sticky ts150 fork removal

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Sticky ts150 fork removal

Postby EddieH » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:27 am

Hi all, I've been trying to remove my fork legs to no avail. I've freed off the lower yokes but they'll still not come down. I'm trying to get some +gas into the top yokes but what I don't know is the condition of the tele tube underneath the headlight brackets. I need suggestions on how to grip the tele tube to get some turning leverage on it, I tried my car oil filter removal tool with a bit wood to compensate for the lack of adjustment, it didn't work! The year is 1978. Any advice would be appreciated.
Eddie
EddieH

Re: Sticky ts150 fork removal

Postby Andy_C » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 pm

I dont confess to know anything about how the fork legs are secured into the lower yoke, but I assume that it is held in by the clamping action of a pinch bolt.

If it is, then remove the pinch bolt completley and make up an aluminium or soft metal wedge (you can use a steel chisel if you are very careful), and force the wedge into the gap in the clamp in the yoke.

You will need to hammer it in but what this will do is open up the yoke and hopefully release the fork leg.

Dont overdo it or you could break the yoke.

I have used this method on quite a few bikes in the past and not damaged anything.

Good luck
Andy_C

Postby EddieH » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:58 am

Well good they're both off once the +gas did it's job all I needed to do was get some rotating movement on them, I used my car oil filter band remover with short lengths of 1" copper pipe to pack it out. I meant to say that initially I screwed the top caps back in a little and used a little downward persuasion with my big mallet, that gave me a little up/down movement to work the +gas in. Thanks for listening, talking it out takes the stress away.
Eddie
EddieH

Postby Andy_C » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:00 am

Well done that man.

Once you have them moving they usually come out.
Andy_C

Postby ivor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:21 am

Heat can also help too, just a gentle warm with a blowtorch. Must be careful of the paint on the h/l brackets if you're not intending to re-paint them though. Glad you got them unstuck.
ivor

Return to Vintage Motorcycles