Front brake lever stop lamp switch.

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Front brake lever stop lamp switch.

Postby Johnhenry » Tue May 01, 2018 2:13 pm

I've got an ETZ 125 and an ETZ 251 and I'm having problems with the front brake stop lamp switches on both bikes.
I've replaced them both quite a few times with new ones I've bought from the Internet and after only a few weeks or even days the switches fail even though the bikes are hardly used, not going out in the wet or bad weather. I can't see it's the way I'm fitting them as they work perfectly to start with. What I need to know is if some switches are better made than others and where I would purchase the better ones and is there an easy alternative to the MZ switch?
Johnhenry

Re: Front brake lever stop lamp switch.

Postby parrbd » Tue May 01, 2018 6:23 pm

I put a Japanese master cylinder on my ETZ250. This also fixed the brake light switch problems.
parrbd

Postby Blurredman » Wed May 02, 2018 2:40 am

MZ brake light switches are a strange thing.

Like many constants in life, you will find that some manufacturers like to make their own solutions, even though it has already been solved.

First they have the earthed contact in side the drum that is common on the MZ's up until the 251's came along, and then the front master cylinder switch, which is unlike any i've seen on other bikes which all seem to use standardised little square or cylindrical type (old Jap bikes).

At least the 251 has a rear brake switch with is a pull by wire operation like almost every other bike out there now.

Unfortunately, I haven't used an original master cylinder on my MZ's for a long time, so cannot recommend anything. If you adjust the switch depth to the lever, what happens? Is there continuity on the switch?

I happen to use a hydraulic switch which is attached the same as a banjo bolt. This works much better than you would think, although no adjustment is available.
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Eric Frith » Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 am

I used to buy a new switch every year for the mot, that was until I spent £20 on a replacement Chinese cylinder that I bought new from an auto jumble, now the brake light works every time, the mirror sits where it should and the fluid stays inside the reservoir. I then went back and bought one each for my other bikes. Also the switch is generic and can be found just about anywhere for £1.50 max.
Eric Frith

Return to Vintage Motorcycles