Deja Vu - all over again

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Deja Vu - all over again

Postby dirtsurfer » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:52 am

I have so many projects on the go already , I really shouldn't have done this but since parting with my little 250, I have had an ETZ shaped hole in my psyche .
I drove up to Port Macquarie and picked up another barn find

Its in slightly better condition than the previous one, but at least most of the parts are there. When I got it home I noticed that the engine mounting bolts are loose , so that's a bit worrying. I'm guessing the engine may have been out already - anyway time will tell. The motor turns over but the seller said it will need a complete overhaul :x Right up my alley

I dunno why someone would remove the chain covers
MZochist
dirtsurfer

Re: Deja Vu - all over again

Postby Puffs » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:33 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:11 am

Looks like a good project! And i'm glad you're back in the game!!

Personally- If it were newly mine. I would actually not start by disassembling it (at least not the low end ) but indeed trying to get it running first.. :?:

Unlike your last ETZ, this actually looks like it has the potential to run in the same state as you found it....
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby dirtsurfer » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Blurredman wrote:Looks like a good project! And i'm glad you're back in the game!!

Personally- If it were newly mine. I would actually not start by disassembling it (at least not the low end ) but indeed trying to get it running first.. :?:

Unlike your last ETZ, this actually looks like it has the potential to run in the same state as you found it....

Ye,s Good idea
MZochist
dirtsurfer

Postby dirtsurfer » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:12 am

I did actually get this bike running again with a disconcerting scraping noise and nothing coming out of the end of the exhaust pipe. Focussing on the scraping noise, I pulled the clutch cover off, thinking that the clutch bearing might be buggered. I looks like someone remounted the clutch by hammering it on with some pipe, beacause the threads where the clutch puller goes were badly damaged.
I don't know if its clear in this picture. Anyway I spent a couple of hours restoring the thread with a thread file, until I could get the puller on and finally remove the clutch. When I did , I noticed that one of the inner bearing washers was arse about.
MZochist
dirtsurfer

Postby Blurredman » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:45 am

Damn- well as you know those clutches need to be torqued on at 65-70lbs.

I hope the taper surfaces on both the clutch reciever and the crank are still in order and not scored?!

Blurredman

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:00 am

many things suffer because of the use of big hammer applied with no thought
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Puffs » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:41 am

"What do you do then, Hondstarfer?"
"Put away those damned sophisticated tools and get my stone hammers. That's when I build the good stuff."

... is fiction indeed.
Puffs

Postby dirtsurfer » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:27 pm

I have been waiting on some parts for the little ETZ to arrive an rebuild my clutch. Meanwhile my mind wandered
I may have posted pictures before of an ETS 250 G5 ISDT in my part of the world which I became aware of from a friend whos brother purchased it - well a few weeks ago I saw a picture of one on the popular online auction site and sent a msg to my friend saying "your brother is selling his MZ?!"
"No, not his bike" - was the response. Hmm there must be another one in Australia. To cut a long story short , I took a trip to see two ISDT 250's looking a bit sad in a barn where they had been for the last 30 years. The owner is an MZ enthusiast but to my eye the price flagged for these forlorn legends was way too high. But I did take a fancy to a basket case ETS 250 which he offered me at a good price. :oops: I truely am a MZochist

Pictures to follow
MZochist
dirtsurfer

Postby Puffs » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:09 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby dirtsurfer » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:28 am

It was pretty dark in there and I should have taken my time and wheeled them out into the sunshine

The basket case ETS:
and

I'll probably pick it up over easter and try and find some room in the garage to hide it
MZochist
dirtsurfer

Postby dirtsurfer » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:32 am

I have had the ETZ running for some time, but have been focussing on sorting out some other bits and pieces . The clutch needed more sorting out and I still have work to do on the electrics. Last week end I had planned to take the ETZ for a few laps around the neighboorhood but the ETZ had other ideas ; my fault really, I had left the fuel on and the bike was well and truely flooded. I kicked and kicked but no way was it going to start. Eventually, I took the spark plug out and left it to breathe for a week. Today after my wife was content with the amount of domestic chores I had completed, I put a new plug in and kicked it into life. Finally I got it onto the road and took it for a blast around the streets. As we're in lockdown, the 'burb is very busy with people walking thier dogs , kids on bikes and scooters, people getting their one hour's exercise. So I took things pretty easy. The bike seems to go well

MZochist
dirtsurfer

Postby dirtsurfer » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:57 am

I had some issues trying to tune this little bike. It seemed to be sucking air from somewhere , when the obvious answer dawned on me. I replaced the crankcase seals and it seems to be running better but I have to get it legal so I can do a propper test. I just have to fix the break lights to get it registered.
MZochist
dirtsurfer

Postby Blurredman » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:04 am

dirtsurfer wrote:I had some issues trying to tune this little bike. It seemed to be sucking air from somewhere , when the obvious answer dawned on me. I replaced the crankcase seals and it seems to be running better but I have to get it legal so I can do a propper test. I just have to fix the break lights to get it registered.

I have a similar issue, although I did a full engine rebuild on my ES250/2, the bike does behave a bit screwy with almost run away type screaming when pulling on the throttle (does eventually come down) and doesn't idle very well- tends to slow down to cutting off completely... I however am still aware that I really need to get the bike on the road and actually ride the bugger.. Some times running things properly and having a little ride loosens things up and makes a vehicle behave better.

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:43 am

Last edited by Puffs on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Next

Return to Vintage Motorcycles