Kickstarter help

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Kickstarter help

Postby Richardmzts2501 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:12 pm

Hi all, need little help. Bought an mz ts250/1 1980 back in spring, have been gradually restoring but dropped a clanger when I was striping it. I removed the Kickstarter to clean and polish it, not realising you can't just pop it back on. So reading the manual I need to remove the side panel to reinstall. What isn't clear do I need to remove the clutch nut to remove the panel, want to check before I start tapping with a mallet. Thanks in advance for all help
Richardmzts2501

Re: Kickstarter help

Postby Guesi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:29 am

Yes. Without removing you cannot remove the side panel.
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby Richardmzts2501 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:57 am

Thanks, will order deep socket. What's best way to lock engine to allow nut to be undone, read on internet rope down cylinder, or is there another way. Engine is in frame. Sorry all questions last time had one of these was 25 years ago as my first bike (ts125 alpine) and just played around with jap bike since.thanks again
Richardmzts2501

Postby jam23a30 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:58 pm

The rope down the spark plug hole works really well. I was a bit concerned at first but you don't need to thread much rope, in bring the piston up and the engine will lock sufficiently. You can get a similar result by putting the bike in gear and have someone hold the brakes on whilst you try to undo the nut. You can undo the nut with a ring spanner but a deep socket is best to re-tighten to the correct torque. The manual describes how to "pre load" the kickstart spring before you re-fit the cotter pin. Made the same mistake myself before I realized the Kickstart comes of with the clutch cover. Easy to sort and the kind of thing you only do once!

Andy
jam23a30

Postby AlanJ » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:51 am

Hi Richard,
Just reading your post, and as there is no mention of draining the gearbox oil I thought, shall I mention it, so I have. The other thing is, do you know about the use of anaerobic multi gasket instead of a paper one, it is well posted, but if you want more info, give me a yell. Stay safe Alan.
AlanJ

Postby Richardmzts2501 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:58 am

Hi Alan

No oil in it as drained when I got the bike, thanks for info re gasket, was going to make one as I normally do out of thin card, will get one ordered! Thanks Richard
Richardmzts2501

Postby AlanJ » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:32 am

Hi Richard,
Sealy Muli gasket is the cheapest anaerobic I found and just to mention why I use it. It only cures when you join the two parts together ( no oxygen)
so you can take your time putting the cover on and it doesn't compress over time so, no oil leaks, wonderful. Buy the way, I must mention that Silicon is not the same, anaerobic can be wiped off the outside and inside it melts into the oil/ water or whatever, so it won't ever clog oil/waterways
Alan.
AlanJ

Return to Vintage Motorcycles