ES Handlebar Removal

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

ES Handlebar Removal

Postby Jamb0 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:01 pm

Hi,

Finally decided that it's time to adjust/replace my head bearings instead of just ignoring the rattling, but for the life of me I cannot get the handlebars off!!

I've undone the large top nut and then the smaller 13mm in the middle, then whacked it with a hammer to loosen the cone, which seems to have worked as the bolt drops and the handlebars are loose, but they will not lift off.

Upon looking underneath there is interesting 'custom' modification which has involved a previous owner welding a nut onto either of the frame section of the steering end stops (see picture). Why this has been done I do not understand but my first thought would be to cut the modification off and hope for the best, rewelding if it turned out to be absolutely necessary, however it doesn't look to me that this would actually resolve the issue of getting the handlebars off as it seems the thing that is actually stopping them coming off is the wire 'stirrup' which makes up part of the handlebar side of the steering end stop. It's simply too tight against the frame which means that it can't be lifted over the tab on the frame (which has the nuts welded to it).

Photo of the underside of my handlebars:

https://pasteboard.co/JJ2p6aS.jpg

Looking at a video of someone doing the job it looks like the stirrup is supposed to be there, so I don't want to just go in and cut that off, but I'm confused as to what I can do to get my handlebars off - has anyone got any advice?? Perhaps I'm not pulling hard enough...

Thanks
Jamb0

Return to Vintage Motorcycles