Wire Wound Resistors

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Wire Wound Resistors

Postby Jamb0 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:41 pm

Decided it was time to replace the Wire Wound resistor (part of the charging system) behind the ignition cover of my ES since what I believe to be the 47 year old OE had started going a little crispy (I expect due purely to age, it hasn't completely burnt out and still has the correct 4.5 ohms of resistance across it, and having covered 500+ miles on the bike myself it has yet to spontaneously combust).

You can imagine my disappointment when I received my pattern part only to find it was absolute garbage quality; wire wrapping totally loose and started unraveling when I handled it, meaning the paper insulation slipped away. Additionally, the wire protruding from the top wasn't even long enough to reach the terminal!!!

I'll be getting my money back for it so I'm hardly losing sleep, but it does beg the question of how I'm actually going to find a decent quality replacement. I could just grab a 4.5 ohm power resistor from any electronics supplier (for a fraction of the price, no doubt) but I can imagine I'll have difficulties with mounting it in the fairly restrictive spot where the OE is fitted.

Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation for where I can a get a pattern part (or NOS) that isn't complete trash? I'd also be happy to take any OE parts off anyone's hands in exchange for compensation of the monetary kind, with bonus points if it's new old stock...
Jamb0

Re: Wire Wound Resistors

Postby Guesi » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:31 pm

Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Return to Vintage Motorcycles