New ES250 Trophy Project!

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: New ES250 Trophy Project!

Postby Puffs » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:59 am

Good going with your speedo! By now you must indeed get quite good at working on that counter.

And yes, I can imagine metal fragments could do that, both the noise, variations in the speed indication, and too high speed - but it raises the question: where are they from?
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:02 am

I'm not quite sure where the metal fragments came from- it's a possibility that they are the result of the worm and shaft gears (that drive the mileage drum) that ground into eachother when the counter drum was seized and perhaps the fragments slowly migrated and got attracted by the magnet over time. Though I'm pretty sure I cleaned the gears up when I had the unit apart the last two times to rectify the drum seizure. But I didn't open up the whole unit back then. I couldn't see any scores within the (magnetically driven-that the needle is connected to) cup that surrounds the magnet so I don't think they're from there. Though the metal fragments were dark though as opposed to a brass so not entirely sure their source is the gears anyway.

But I am very happy I didn't have to mess with the needle to take apart the unit....! But I don't think some of the metal tabs (which are to be bent to lock certain things in position and require unbending to take the unit apart) will hold up to too much bending if this is a thing I have to do often. But it's true- I have that spare TS speedo if in the future this Trophy speedo still continues to be an issue. I think i'll leave it as it is for now with the top glass surround uncrimped for about 1,000 miles or so and then decide whether or not to crimp it back around fully (with a bit of goo to prevent ingress of water) at that point.
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Noradavis » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:14 am

Re: New ES250 Trophy Project! Post by Puffs » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:24 am. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! But back to the 0.5 ...Hi Guys, I have a project. An ES250 that has basically been unused since 1983 and clickercounter.org subsequently taken apart and stored.The original engine is now refitted and is very smooth and quiet mechanically. New exhaust system, new chrome shock absorber shrouds and new tyres. Wheels ...83478kms (approx 51000 miles). Paintwork and chrome in excellent condition. Fitted with genuine MZ Trophy legshields (rare find), that are intact with no damage ...recent being the sidecar project which went to a new home about 9 months ago. ... that the steering was back to normal for an ES250 Trophy. It's almost forty years since I saw my first MZ ES250/2 Trophy: immaculate, blue and resplendent with leg shields, tucked away in the back ...
Noradavis

Previous

Return to Vintage Motorcycles