TS250 Battery

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: TS250 Battery

Postby Gerryman Ts125 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:44 pm

I drove my Ts 125 sans battery for over two months with no battery, and using hand signals, as it was summer. (Key placed at running without battery-generator straight to points). After I was pulled by a bike cop in outer Glasgow, on the a82 during day. And he explained my brake bulb wasnt working, he told me to buy one, and let me go. I went back to my flat and cleaned the contacts in my regulator box, gapped them, and pulled the battery out of my mates burds (girlfriends)
Honda Nf 75 (6v5a battery) it was enough to power most of the electrics (until it rained) and operation of anything above 29w, made my Ts deliver its power (low down) like, I had kangaroo petrol.
In 1989 I bought a new battery (6v 12a) wore out two regulator boxes as they were boiling my battery acid away, (so I thought) but my original Mz battery had sprung a leak ! ! underneath. It also ruined (melted) four sets of points a condenser two sparkplugs and the generator wire connectors. Silly of me I know, but Mz spares were very cheap and plentyfull from Gordon Griegor, then Micky Scroats Motorcycles, and I had purchased most of the second hand Mz Ts spares from the bike breakers of Glasgow and Paisley. No wonder they call it the emergency posision. So I speak from stupidity.
`I stink therefore I have a old bikers jacket that`s alive`
Gerryman Ts125

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:36 pm

the only fear i have is it will be a 1974 model if its a 2 smoker
:smt023
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Puffs » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:40 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Guesi » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:16 am

Puffs wrote:
Guesi: yes you are right, at least on my 251 that small bulb stays on when you put on the main beam. So you can add those 4W to the load while riding, and you're still not draining the battery. Please recognise the maths, which support the point that they wouldn't make a bike you can not continue to ride with the lights on.

On my 251 I always ride with the lights on, in recent years using 12V 4Ah AGM, thanks for your approval.

I recognize the maths, but this excludes that sometimes you need to use your brake and indicators.
This changes your addition :-)

And 60W are delivered when everything is in perfect condition (contact of the wires, regulator, coals on the dynamo , battery etc.)
This is not always the case....

ETZ is another case and not comparable to the 6V models.
As I already mentioned , the ETZ dynamo has about 210W.

And by the way. From the early 70s on indicators are mandatory mostly all over Europe...

But if you have 2 strong arms, you can surely use them in addition to the indicators :-)
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby Puffs » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:01 am

Uhm... you can include the time any other loads are given to the system and do the maths to demonstrate me that the battery should drain on continuous use, but then please also include that the short term output of the generator (so when the voltage drops due to, for instance braking or indicators) is 90W, not 60W. Anyway, I'd be highly surprised if the MZ engineers would have gotten that wrong.

Yes, if there's something wrong with the charge system you may drain the battery. I already said that.

No. I do not know if "From the early 70s on indicators are mandatory mostly all over Europe", but I don't think so. It was not a general rule, but it depended on the type approval for a particular bike, and yes, those varied from country to country, before the EU got his sticky little paws on the matter. Particularly Enduro & offroad bikes (both street legal) were admitted until much later without indicators, but other than that, it was a bit of a mix.

Looking at:
Motorrad Katalog 1975.jpg
see for instance these:
Some Italian bikes.jpg
See the 750 has, the Scrambler has not.
But not all road oriented bikes had indicator either, for instance this:
Laverda 1000.jpg
has not. I'd still like to ride it though.

As for the MZ's & other DDR bikes in that booklet: the TS has, the ES has not, and neither do the Simson's. A mix.

Anyway, I've been indicating with my arms for decades and 3 of my fully road-legal bikes have no indicators.
Puffs

Postby Guesi » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:15 am

I only can tell what was the law in Western-Germany in these days.

For example the ETS 250 had to have indicators on the handlebar in West-Germany, in the GDR they had none.

But this was the only model that had no indicators.

The ES /1 and all other following models had indicators.Except the ETS in the GDR :-)
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Previous

Return to Vintage Motorcycles