250cc ETZ clutch replacement distance

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

250cc ETZ clutch replacement distance

Postby Puffs » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:05 am

It may have come up in the past, but I cannot find it.

Does anyone have an idea how long the clutch on a 250cc ETZ would normally last? Of course it depends on how you use it, but still, what would roughly be a common replacement distance?

The one on my ETZ251 has now done more than 37k miles, 60k kilometres, and is still fine. Is that normal?
Puffs

Re: 250cc ETZ clutch replacement distance

Postby Blurredman » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:24 am

The question I wonder:

If a bike has 10 owners over the period of 30 years, how many miles must be covered before the clutch finally needs work doing to it, whether that is replacement plates (of either metal or friction), or indeed new springs...?

Now, my '87 etz250 DID have the original friction plates until recently, at 35k. I do believe they still have meat in them, but I replaced them for thicker plates in an attempt to solve a slippage problem which may or may not be down to defective springs or oil type.

In any case, the only vehicle I can rightly say that I put in BRAND NEW friction plates (and I put stronger springs too, actually), is on my Honda CX500 after I used incorrect oil in it soon after purchase which burned the plates. So I know, that that bike has 34,000 miles of trouble free clutch usage- However, it must be said that I haven't actually opened up the clutch in some time, so who knows what the condition of the plates are like? Maybe this is something I will look into at some point in the future.

My car I replaced the clutch (I do believe it was original), at 150,000 miles.

It does seem that motorcycle clutches do get changed often.. why is this? Because it's easy for a user to do on their own? I see a lot of people often change plates because of incorrect oil (yes I know as I said, I did this too, we were all once naive)...

It's a difficult thing to comprehend and it can take many many years to get a final result, for your own style of driving.. Now I don't slip my clutch on my CX500 much but for the obvious reasons of requirement, but alas- how long will that last? At least I know that the plates were new, and the springs in spec, and the oil good, and that I drive well enough and that I don't slip the clutch unneccessary.. How long I do wonder will the unit last? I mean, wet clutches should last longer because of the lubrication. But suface area in comparison to a dry clutch? How does that also compare.. But still, many car drivers go 100k miles, but bike riders half (????), We all know it depends if you're a shoot it off the line man, or a beginer who is still learning after 10 years, or just that your operation levers are incorrectly adjusted, or maybe you live in a hilly area...? I know my 251 clutch doesn't really like the start even on 7% hill situations, let alone 20%. Unless going down of course :lol:
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Return to Vintage Motorcycles