ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Postby allkidd » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:23 pm

Hi, I'm newly retired and purchased a retirement project...1974 TS250. This will be my first rebuild as I've always performed all the maintenance on my more modern dirt bikes but never an old bike. I'm already discovering that rebuilding an old bike is considerably different than maintaining a modern bike and that I have a lot to learn! For one, I can't just run down to the local bike shop for parts. For another, there aren't an abundance of you tube videos to guide me on first time repairs!

I've enjoyed reading discussion threads on this board and think it will be very helpful! My project hasn't been run for 25 years but seems complete and in decent shape. Having never done a rebuild, I'm not sure where to start. I was thinking of getting it running and then take it apart and clean and work on the individual components. It has a good spark so I was thinking I would take apart the carb and petcock. I guess there aren't complete rebuild kits for these old carburetors? I'm guessing that after this many years, every seal will need to be replaced?

Once I get fuel in place, would it be foolish for me to try starting the engine without checking the cylinder?

For those of you with more rebuild experience than myself, which I guess is everybody, how would you start on a rebuild like this?

Any help, comments, knowledge is greatly appreciated!!
Beta Xtrainer 300 Dirt and Rocks
KTM 1190 Adventure
MZ TS 250 Project
Yamaha yds2 250 Project
allkidd

Re: Newbie

Postby AndyP66 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:31 pm

Welcome to the site from a fellow newbie. You do have more experience than me, as at the age of 55 I have just brought a 1979 TS125. Which was running when brought it, now it’s a bloody nightmare.
There is plenty of threads for the TS250 so you should get some help.
AndyP66

Postby Andy_C » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:53 pm

Welcome - guess that an MZ is pretty rare in your neck of the woods.

I am on my 3rd MZ, and what I have did with the first 2 was follow my instincts - sounds like you know your way around an engine and probably know what to look for.

My current MZ took a little more work to get going, but cracked it in the end.

The worst thing that can go wrong is that the crank seals fail - but no problem these can be easily replaced without splitting the cases.

If I were you I would probbaly just clean out the fuel tank, filter and tap, then pull the carb off, dismantle / clean / check fuel height. Drain / replace gearbox oil. Check that the air filter is clean and dry.

Check timing is correct, and fit a new spark plug, if it has decent compression it will most likley fire up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S. Carb is simple and contains very few seals, best place for MZ spares is the MZ Shop based in the UK - Just Google MZ SHOP, pretty sure that he exports as well. Also if you dont have a workshop manual you should be able to find one in PDF format on line.
Andy_C

Postby allkidd » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:18 pm

MZ's are very rare around here. The one I purchased is the only one I've ever seen. None of my motorcycle friends have heard of MZ. Nice to have a one of a kind bike!

Thanks for the information about MZ shop. I've looked them up and have a list of parts I'm working on. Thanks!
KTM 1190 Adventure
MZ TS 250 Project
Yamaha yds2 250 Project
allkidd

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:34 pm

good one to restore unlike a Japanese bike
this one you can find parts for

have fun
dave

watch the rear wheel the axle is 2 parts
and one side supports the chain sprocket the cover and brake drum
then the wheel fits on and is held by the axle and shoes

bit different than any thing i have ever worked on
Honda dream maybe not to common where i live
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Blurredman » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:15 am

Ah, another '74 TS250 - they're really appearing a lot lately over there..

If it's one thing we love here on this forum however.. It's a picture build/development thread! So don't forget those!

I'm still working my way through my '74 ES250/2. After 4 and a half months I might soon be able to ride it with earnest! Though from the look of most '74 TS250's in the States, they always look like they're at least good condition aesthetically.. :-D
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:07 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby allkidd » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:53 am

Andy_C wrote:Welcome - guess that an MZ is pretty rare in your neck of the woods.

I am on my 3rd MZ, and what I have did with the first 2 was follow my instincts - sounds like you know your way around an engine and probably know what to look for.

My current MZ took a little more work to get going, but cracked it in the end.

The worst thing that can go wrong is that the crank seals fail - but no problem these can be easily replaced without splitting the cases.

If I were you I would probbaly just clean out the fuel tank, filter and tap, then pull the carb off, dismantle / clean / check fuel height. Drain / replace gearbox oil. Check that the air filter is clean and dry.

Check timing is correct, and fit a new spark plug, if it has decent compression it will most likley fire up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

MZ shop appears to be the best source of parts. I was about to order a list of parts when I realized there wasn't an option to ship out of UK. I emailed MZ shop and they said that they don't ship to US. Anybody know of a mailbox service in UK where I could have the parts shipped to their location then they would ship to US?

I've researched Gusi for parts but even when I convert to English the parts fiche is still in German. Makes it hard to know what I'm ordering. I also checked ebay and there doesn't seem to be many MZ parts on ebay.

P.S. Carb is simple and contains very few seals, best place for MZ spares is the MZ Shop based in the UK - Just Google MZ SHOP, pretty sure that he exports as well. Also if you dont have a workshop manual you should be able to find one in PDF format on line.
KTM 1190 Adventure
MZ TS 250 Project
Yamaha yds2 250 Project
allkidd

Postby allkidd » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:01 pm

MZ shop appears to be the best source of parts. I was about to order a list of parts when I realized there wasn't an option to ship out of UK. I emailed MZ shop and they said that they don't ship to US. Anybody know of a mailbox service in UK where I could have the parts shipped to their location then they would ship to US?

I've researched Gusi for parts but even when I convert to English the parts fiche is still in German. Makes it hard to know what I'm ordering. I also checked ebay and there doesn't seem to be many MZ parts on ebay.
KTM 1190 Adventure
MZ TS 250 Project
Yamaha yds2 250 Project
allkidd

Postby dirtsurfer » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:23 am

allkidd wrote:MZ shop appears to be the best source of parts. I was about to order a list of parts when I realized there wasn't an option to ship out of UK. I emailed MZ shop and they said that they don't ship to US. Anybody know of a mailbox service in UK where I could have the parts shipped to their location then they would ship to US?

You can get parts from Miami https://mzpartsmiami.com/
MZochist
dirtsurfer

Postby Puffs » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:17 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Puffs

Return to Vintage Motorcycles