Oh dear! 251 Footrest mount sheered

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Oh dear! 251 Footrest mount sheered

Postby Puffs » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:20 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Kruh » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:32 am

Shouldn't it be just two long bolts that go all the way through the mount? Then you have a bolt head and nut both on the outside. That was the case with older models; I'm not too farmiliar with the 251. Installing 4 smaler bolts and nuts that go on the inside does seem like quite a tedious job.

It could've easily been a plate that covers the whole bottom, and then just two long bolts that hold everything together.
Perhaps, a missed opportunity, but either way, nice job and should be plenty strong.
Kruh

Postby Blurredman » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:26 am

I hear you both about the length of the bottom plate. It is potentially a missed opportunity, but I'm okay with it for now. I've tested by standing and practically jumping on the footrests (before I installed all the rest of the bike together), and it was fine, the flex I felt was in the footrest bar itself. For now, and maybe another 32 years, this should be grand, as yes the plate itself does cover over by a fair margin the cracked area! I can easily extend, or close it off and replace the two small bolts for one long one in the future if need be... Access should be fine enough to do this without taking the engine out etc, by haveing the bike on it's side. You have to bear in mind regarding the welding, that I never touched one before Monday (5 days ago).

And Kruh, yes, the 250's have two long bolts going straight through, the 251 has 1 long, and two short. I think the purpose of the two short ones is so that sideways pressure isn't being put on the box section where the two useless (per side) holes are.... As Puffs says, the metal was indeed quite thick, but riddled with the fact that it was a porous and not very well compressed steel, you could see the little air pockets in the torn section.

But, regardless of the outcome right now- it's a funny decision to be made by MZ... I would like to know why..

The bike is assembled, bar the tank- I've got that airing out as I have more welding to do- I don't know if it's worth putting that here, because this is a topic about the footrest mount. But the bike is currently back in pretty much one piece again.. Yey!

1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:56 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:40 pm

Thank you for this Puffs,

Coincidentally, after reading your post, I did later see up in person an ETZ125, so I was very interested in the footrest arrangement- and your research is quite on point. The 125 does indeed have a different footrest and is fixated with the pair of vertical holes!

So it seems the frame for the 125 and the 251 are the same 'item' number.... And so this interesting meander about these holes has a reason after all..

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:16 am

Puffs

Postby Guesi » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:02 pm

The frames from ETZ 125/150 and ETZ 251 look similar, but they are different.
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby Blurredman » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:52 pm

Okay, maybe it's just the small box section at the bottom they share identically. I suppose there are differences, but maybe this section of material is just off the shelf as a shared item, as it were. 8) 8) 8)

Blurredman

Postby Blurredman » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:37 am

Hi guys,

Thought I would add this to my topic after all, and although it's not connected in terms of the lower mount, it is at least connected in the sense that it is welding work on the MZ. Since having this bike the tank has never fit properly.. I noticed early on that the rear tank support square section (that holds the bolt that goes into the mounting flange), was not there, and that whoever had done this had put a bolt through a hole in the frame that is factory.

This had a few issues however. Foremost of which is the fact that there was undue pressure pushing against the flap against the tank as it is wedged in a bit. Anyway, over time the flange had broken off- and although I had had it welded up at one point, the fact that the cause (in my opinion) of the problem wasn't resolved meant that the welded flap broke off and long since departed. I don't actually know whether I have it somewhere or whether it fell off and is on the side of a long far off road.

So, with the flap gone I used to wedge some thick cloth between the tank and the seat and it would keep it secure enough.. But I decided to finally do something about it.

The afforementioned bolt through the frame.

The frabricated box section that keeps hold of the bolt properly. It took a long time to construct this- damn tiny pieces! :-D It has been cleaned down and painted since this picture.

Tank on the frame. As you can see the flange is gone- but this is just a picture after offering up the tank for measurements/test fitting.

The tank was emptied of all fuel and left to air out for 2 weeks in preparation for the welding.
The steel is welded in place on the tank. I actually overlapped the steel a little (the piece was placed on the underside position) over what was already there to give adequate support and to hopefully prevent future fractures. Both sides top and bottom edges of the join were then welded
Underside:

Topside:

The tank put onto position on the bike. Since this picture the welds have been filed a bit, and the edges curved and burs removed, and painted. I have the proper rubber mountings to put in place for the top as well, and once the bolt is chopped a bit, it's all ready to go!

One note is that the box section to hold the bolt in place I made is a bit too far forward on the frame, not too much of an issue though as this was compensated by having the hole on the flap a little bit more forward towards the tank too.

But i'm quite pleased that it seems all the work I needed to do to this bike is over........ for now at least!!!!
And it can go back together and be used. Pitty actually, as I don't think i'll use it much now that the sun has come out a bit.. This weather lately is when I can use my nicer bikes!

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:00 am

Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:09 am

And here we are, the bike is back together. Everything fits nicely together, and it's nice to just be able to put the seat straight on and not have to wrestle it on due to there being cloth between the seat and tank to stop the tank dancing around. :-D :-D And no, I don't care about the quality of my paint application in terms of neatness :lol: :lol:

The plastic spigot outlet on the tap stretched and got deformed when I removed the tank weeks ago. I have a metal replacement in my boxes of bits, so note the application of that. I am thinking of buying some more of them and just replacing the ones on my other two bikes...

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:32 am

Puffs

Previous

Return to Vintage Motorcycles