Fuel Tap TS 2 Stroke

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Fuel Tap TS 2 Stroke

Postby MZFred » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:33 am

Has any one successfully used a different fuel tap on their bikes? I have been having a running battle with several standard fuel taps trying to get them to seal around the plastic bowl and around the plastic outlet pipe fitting. All appear to have a very critical sweet spot when tightening and have tried small rubber "O" rings and PTFE tape on the threads with varying success. In both cases the issue appears to be the thread connection between the plastic element and the alloy body of the tap. So and advice will be greatly appreciated!
MZFred

Re: Fuel Tap TS 2 Stroke

Postby Kruh » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:48 pm

Yes, I've used a fuel tap from a puch. Its the same thread.
Like this one:
https://www.puchshop.de/en-gb/petrol-ta ... a-omg.html

Although, I haven't had any issues with the new MZ tap.
Kruh

Postby Blurredman » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:12 am

My brother has one of those Puch taps, it seems to work nicely. Of course, he doesn't use his bike as much as mine... well, in recent years not at all :-D

Anyway, there's also a difference between original taps, and aftermarket and what's more you can add the varience between good and bad aftermarket. I have a cheap aftermarket tap on my 251, and I also have difficult problems trying to stop the plastic cup skipping threads... I also have used some ptfe and stuff, but yeah it's really difficult. I've got no proper solution to it that will work if I want to remove the cap again in the future :lol:
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:36 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby dave47 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:09 am

I've had several MZs with the standard fuel tap and never had any problems with leaks from the catch bowl. There is a seal to prevent this, perhaps yours is missing or damaged. I bought one recently from The MZ Shop for £2.10.
I can remember leaks in the past from the plastic outlet nozzle, but not recently. They may well be of variable quality.

If you have had it with the originals, The MZ Shop also sell a slightly cheaper Italian one which I and many other people have used. They are very satisfactory, but cannot be serviced like the originals, for which all the individual parts are available.
dave47

Postby MZFred » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:04 pm

Many thanks for your replies, will give it a go with the recommendations provided.
MZFred

Return to Vintage Motorcycles