TS (and ES) 125 kickstart ratchet spring assy

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

TS (and ES) 125 kickstart ratchet spring assy

Postby Throwley » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:31 am

Behind the clutch on my TS125 is a bit of a mess. The kickstart ratchet pinion has been thrashing about and grinding through various parts. Also, the spring cup (centre in image) is destroyed and the spring clip (right in image) floating free.
New parts are on their way, but I can't understand, or find in any manual, how these parts fit together. Clearly the small end of the spring fits into the spring cup, but what does the spring clip clip to? It can't hold anything into the crankcase as it's too small a diameter. I imagine it clips into the spring cup, but why and how?

Any help at all on this assembly would be welcome, I stripped my spare engine to find out, but it's exactly the same in that one too!
TS125 and ES150, but still with ES250 aspirations
Throwley

Re: TS (and ES) 125 kickstart ratchet spring assy

Postby Jay Bee » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:53 am

Clearly the small end of the spring fits into the spring cup, but what does the spring clip clip to?

Groove at the back of the clutch drum........... (the whole thing should turn as a unit when running).
(More precisely, it's actually on the central boss of the clutch sprocket, to which the clutch drum is rivetted on one side, and the kickstart ratchet plate on the other.)
HTH
Jay Bee

Postby Throwley » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:53 am

Thanks. I hadn't twigged the turning as a unit thing for some reason!

My son actually pointed this out to me minutes after I made the post - sometimes you can't see what's in front of your eyes - right?

In my defence, it's pretty chewed up back there on both clutches, looks like an expensive new clutch basket assy is my only option.
TS125 and ES150, but still with ES250 aspirations
Throwley

Postby Jay Bee » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:07 am

Yes, I kinda thought this would be the case.
A quick search with a couple of suppliers brought forth a rather expensive item out of stock/unavailable.
Best start looking for a good used one......may be someone reading this can help out.
Good luck,
Jay Bee

Return to Vintage Motorcycles