TS250 No Spark

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: TS250 No Spark

Postby Jay Bee » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:28 am

Looking at the pic., I have to agree with Puffs - ditch that points wire.......it looks like a bit of UK (mains) earth wire.
It it was my bike, I wouldn't be using insulated crimps, either.....
Good luck with the problem - I'm sure it will turn out to be something quite basic that you've overlooked.
Jay Bee

Postby Puffs » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:29 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby dave47 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:31 pm

dave47 wrote:The fitting of an iridium plug might suggest the previous owner had starting issues.

ditto, the Gammatronix unit.
Perhaps its an earth problem. Check theres a good connection between the coil case, bracket and frame. You could try fitting a wire between the cylinder head and the battery negative. Thats all I can suggest.
dave47

Postby ScotBob » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:07 pm

It's alive!!!

I still don't really know what the issue was? I ran some new wires, renewed lots of connections and went through the whole wiring system again. Took all the ignition components off and reconnected again with new terminals if required. Took points off, cleaned gapped and checked timing, all stuff I'd done before as individual tasks but to no avail.

The difference this time was I took everything off, then basically started from scratch running the wires and redoing the connections as per the wiring diagram, I went through the loom and ignition system cleaning up and replacing terminals and some wiring as I worked my way through it, finishing with the timing and resetting the points.

I'm happy it's going but frustrated i've still no clear answer as to what the issue was.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I
ScotBob

Postby Blurredman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:37 am

Well done.

You probably fixed it with replacemeing multiple bad connections. Dirty, corrodded, or poor fitting or crimped (or soldered) connectors on the wires. The wires themselves could be corroded internally- which isn't too much of an issue (other than resistence and perhaps eventual break through/breakage), but then that interferes with getting a good connection on the terminal either by crimping or soldering.
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:04 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Puffs

Postby ScotBob » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:55 am

I've had enough!!

So bike not fixed, spark gone again, been through the system again can't find any issues, will run for a few minutes or a mile or so then loses the spark, strip the ignition system rebuild it will get a spark for 5 minutes and gone again, every possible thing has been replaced. I'm sick of pushing it and being stranded.

I traded a good bike for this (my ES150 Enduro Rep) and it's been nothing but bother and never ran right from the day it arrived. So I've offered it to a mate for next to nothing, if he does not want it, i'm scrapping it as I do not want to pass on the grief to anyone else as its serious mental torture.

I've pushed this bike further than I've ridden it!!

I'm done with MZs
ScotBob

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:17 am

reuse the spark system from some other bike and just the mz points
sounds like you have more than one interment part
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Puffs » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:32 am

Puffs

Postby ScotBob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:55 am

HA HA, I've calmed down now and had another look at the bike this morning having had it recovered back to base last night.

So here's an interesting scenario for you all:

Bike died shortly after refuelling 14.5lts and therefore approx 290 ml of 2T, I used the measuring cup to add the oil and did not shake the bike until I was done adding the total amount of oil required.

Bike ran for about 500 mts after the above then dies, checked for a spark no spark, abandoned bike and had it recovered last night.

This morning looking at the plug it was fouled, changed plug and it was sparking again replaced plug and bike would still not fire despite a spark. So I pulled the fuel line to discover nothing in the line but 2T, took the carb bowl off again nothing but 2T and a bike will not run on oil alone.

So looked in the tank with a torch and much to my surprise the fuel tap had no innards, no vertical pipe and filter into the tank, just a straight through hole from the tank base to the fuel line! So when adding oil before I had shaken it the oil went to the bottom of the tank and straight to the fuel pipe, therefore mixture is too rich or in this case pure oil, plug fouls loses the spark and bike dies, lose of spark was pointing me to ignition, seems i've been barking up the wrong tree.

So lets hope a carb strip, clean and rebuild plus new fuel tap and filter will sort it.
ScotBob

Postby Puffs » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:22 am

Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:16 am

I have also had this. Annoyingly when I was in a rush. Had to remove float bowl on the main road.

I learnt a lesson to turn the tap off first or put it back to 'ON' before filling up. Also like Puffs I tend to point nozzle either into the oil drop or try to get the oil to the RHS of tank.
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby ScotBob » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:01 am

Right, here we go again!!

This bike is really starting to piss me off.

So I fitted a new fuel tap, drained and cleaned the carb and put all settings to stock, reassembled and still the bike will not go. Seems the lack of spark is a fuelling issue which fouls the plug within seconds, like literally two seconds, this stops the spark and bike dies, if I change out the plug I get the spark back it will then fire right up for a maximum of 2 seconds then dies. Pull the plug and it's wet and fouled and spark gone again.

So carb settings all normal but clearly too much fuel getting in or not enough air? I pulled the carb and lowered the needle, it's now at it's lowest setting, still no difference fire up and floods within 2 seconds. Been through the full range of the airscrew settings and again makes no difference, bike fires up instantly floods and dies.

Anyone any idea as to what is going on her, I really am ready to just burn it.
ScotBob

Postby Puffs » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:37 am

Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Andy_C » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:51 am

I have not read this entire thread, but it looks from your later postings that you now have a spark, but the plug fouls / kills the spark after a short time.

I had an ETZ that had exactly the same problem, it turned out to be the choke plunger not sealing - so if you have not looked at it yet, pop the choke plunger out and check the condition of the seal.

Also remember that the choke of off when the cable is slack, so be sure to check choke cable adjustment.

Just a suggestion.
Andy_C

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Motorcycles