Is my bike a Bitsa?

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Is my bike a Bitsa?

Postby ScotBob » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:52 am

Just been doing some work on the bike, changing fork seals and replacing rear shocks; looking at the bike during the work and then making some comparisons with other models my bike does not seem to fit the features of similar bikes.

So the bike was sold to me as an 1976 MZ TS250 /1 Supa 5, V5 just states make and model as MZ 243cc.

My bike has the speedo mounted into the headlight nacelle and a revcounter mounted on the LHS handlebar clamp. I’ve not seen this on other /1 models, they either have just the speedo in the headlight or two clocks mounted on the bar clamps. Perhaps the revcounter was added later by a previous owner?

Yes it does have a 5 speed box.

Secondly whilst changing the shocks I came across a welded mount on the swinging arm, again I’ve not seen this on other models anyone know what this is for? (See pics)
Attachments
15EF9111-02C9-42D5-B23E-05455F98B872.jpeg
5ABF45BC-9674-4033-AD43-FC89A43C5D8E.jpeg
ScotBob

Re: Is my bike a Bitsa?

Postby ScotBob » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:59 am

Some other pics to help identification, this was the bike we have previously discussed that came to me with a sidecar fitted and has now been removed:
Attachments
2AD6E48A-8C6C-4C54-B813-875EF998D108.jpeg
24A0C405-655C-4EEA-8B73-914FF937E631.jpeg
ScotBob

Postby Blurredman » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:12 am

Hi Scotbob,

Yes it looks like it has been modified a bit. I can't say for certain what that welded on bracked on the swingarm has a purpose for though.

But yes that rev counter has been placed on there by someone, noticably with a much too long tacho cable.

The early 250's did come with a 16" front wheel so that looks okay other than the fact the mudguard looks like it is for an 18" wheel so i'm not entirely sure.

I'm not entirely sure either at what point the 5 speed came into fruition but it's 'possibly' appropriate.

That whole rear light assembly including the indicators and bracketry are from an ETZ250.

The bike as a whole although not all original to what it 'should' be, doesn't look out of place. To me they're fairly typical things people do to their bikes. Although the rear lights is an odd one- they stick out far far too much it looks funny. But the bracketry? It's in my mind that perhaps a previous owner wanted to mount something there like a 2t oil bottle, or indeed a different position for the rear suspension unit esp as I can see one on the other side of the swingarm that now holds an aftermarket brake switch...
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby ScotBob » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:14 am

Also meant to say bike was fitted with shrouded rear shocks, when looking for replacements I measured them as 36cm eye centre to eye centre. UK available replacements for the 250/1 were all 38cm but it did state this may be too long for some other models and they would certainly be too long for mine. I eventually found a set of 36cm shocks in Germany which even with postage and customs were cheaper than any UK supplier.

Again all this is making me think the bike is made up from a mixture of parts from differing models?
Attachments
6C542826-EB6D-4104-8158-944318799CE8.jpeg
ScotBob

Postby ScotBob » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:23 am

Blurredman wrote:Hi Scotbob,

Yes it looks like it has been modified a bit. I can't say for certain what that welded on bracked on the swingarm has a purpose for though.

But yes that rev counter has been placed on there by someone, noticably with a much too long tacho cable.

The early 250's did come with a 16" front wheel so that looks okay other than the fact the mudguard looks like it is for an 18" wheel so i'm not entirely sure.

I'm not entirely sure either at what point the 5 speed came into fruition but it's 'possibly' appropriate.

That whole rear light assembly including the indicators and bracketry are from an ETZ250.

The bike as a whole although not all original to what it 'should' be, doesn't look out of place. To me they're fairly typical things people do to their bikes. Although the rear lights is an odd one- they stick out far far too much it looks funny. But the bracketry? It's in my mind that perhaps a previous owner wanted to mount something there like a 2t oil bottle, or indeed a different position for the rear suspension unit esp as I can see one on the other side of the swingarm that now holds an aftermarket brake switch...

Thanks for that; ref the rear light and indicators, the bike had a sidecar fitted when I got it and had a universal rear light and single indicator fitted, I purchased the current setup 2nd hand from a breaker advertised as for a TS250. Yeah it does stick out a lot, I need to see if I can modify it for a better look. I was unaware it was from an ETZ.
ScotBob

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:34 pm

LOOKS VERY GOOD IN THE PICTURES
DAVE :)
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby dave47 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:43 am

Hi Bob, Many Supa5 owners swap the twin clocks for the headlight speedo for aesthetic reasons, and I think it would look better without the rev counter. If it has 5 gears the engine must be Supa5, and the frame model should be on the vin plate. The front wheel looks small, presumably for the sidecar operation.
Did you get your other problem fixed?
dave47

Postby Puffs » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:03 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby dave47 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:25 am

Several models, including the Supa5, used shocks measuring 36cm unloaded between centres, but different models had different springs. Its not possible to say if your shrouded springs are "correct", but theres no reason why they should not be, or even if it would make much difference.
Be careful buying shocks from o..2..d as the pairs don't always match. Count the coils, and check they have the same amount of preload!
dave47

Postby Puffs » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:39 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby ScotBob » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:05 am

Thanks for the responses so far; so based on what I have now learned I have fabricated a new rear light and indicator bracket to bring it closer to the bike. The original had been cut in half as only one indicator was needed on the bike (sidecar)
and adapted to take a square aftermarket rear light. Between the ETZ bracket and TS I have made up a new one as close to the original as possible and it’s put it in a much more natural position.

Agreed ref the rev counter, I think it will have to go but I need some sort of blanking plate for the clutch cover or a cap to screw over the cable drive, perhaps I could make something from the screw on connection from an old cable, I will also need a handlebar clamp. For now I have rerouted the cable for a slightly better route.

New shocks now fitted (correct amount of coils and preload on both sides) although from Germany they are not from the previously mentioned supplier. Shocks are 36cm which I could not find in the UK as it seems they only have 38cm here? The shocks caused a new issue the Main stand would no longer lift the bike. The bike had no stand (Sidecar) so the one I had was 2nd hand and battered the feet were worn and buckled and the the extension to push it down with was missing. So a good excuse to remake the stand, brace up the feet and I welded new shoes on the bottom to give it an extra lift. The stand now works as it should.

Big mirrors removed and a single bar end fitted for a cleaner look.

Next step will be a good clean and tidy up but not planning on a restoration, the bike will keep its patina and history. I have a new battery on order (gel) as existing one does not hold charge (charging system checks out and is good). All other electrics are good and running LEDs for lighting.

Progress pics:
Attachments
BADD1ACE-5DBD-4BA2-A663-214CF301282D.jpeg
3A482C4A-85B3-45C7-A7B9-0C092B4F2E47.jpeg
ScotBob

Postby jam23a30 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:56 am

Bob, the VIN plate on the RHS of the headstock would confirm what the bike "should" look like, beyond that it's your call.

A 1978 TS250/1 (Super 5) should not have the speedo in the headlight shell but on a handed bracket similar fashion to the rev counter. The standard 18" front wheel with narrow tyre makes the Super 5 handle very well and the 5 speed box is reputed to make the Super 5 the nicest MZ 2T to ride day in day out.

I have had a standard Super 5's for several years and find them reliable fun bikes to ride, they drive well but don't stop that well unless you have spent some time setting up the front brake!

I think you should enjoy your MZ the way you want it to look and set it up to do what you want it to do, spares are easily available and there is an active riders club across the UK.

Hope this helps you settle in with your MZ

Andy
jam23a30

Postby ScotBob » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:09 am

Unfortunately there is no VIN plate that I can find on the bike. Bike is registered on V5 as 1976, model: MZ 243cc
ScotBob

Postby lavrentyuk » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:19 pm

The welded on bracket looks similar to one on my swing arm - mine is on the right, has only the one tab but was used for those fitted with a sidecar. Mine being an ETZ might be slightly different - but I suspect it has a swing arm for a sidecar.
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
MuZ Skorpion Tour, ETZ 300 or two (one with a sidecar - really insane mode of transport), a couple of TS125s, ETZ 125, BMW R100S and an Enfield Interceptor for daily use.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Postby Puffs » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:32 am

Puffs

Return to Vintage Motorcycles