New ETZ 250 rider here and some questions

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: New ETZ 250 rider here and some questions

Postby Puffs » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:56 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby klemmy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:50 am

I did a second longer ride since I have a bike and I came across with a big surprise as soon I tried to take off-clutch, first gear and here we go....but backwards :shock: I saw on youtube this before and it supposed to be a result of advanced timing, but bike did nothing like this before. Yes, of course, I only had bike for a few months now and ignition is classic on points...I need to master that points adjusting, or better some electronic ignition is requied.

I stop the engine, started again and its all normal. I had two stops on the ride for a few minutes and bike starts everytime on the first kick with no problem. Is that only a cold start issue?

And again, this leaking plug....today I will put some loctite on and we will see if that is solution :wink:

Thank you for all your help :D
klemmy

Postby klemmy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:07 am

1mz.png
Classic beauty;)

MZ ETZ 250.png
You know, what the building in the back is? I belive, that member, named Kruh, knows;)
klemmy

The return of the backwards running phantom!

Postby Puffs » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:09 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Kruh » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:53 am

Glad to see you enjoying the bike.
I have an electronic ignition system on mine, even set at 2.7 mm BTC, but it still occasionally runs backwards. But only if I don't kick it quite right, or if its cold and it has a bit of trouble keeping the rpms. The lower the rpms it runs at idle, the more likely it is to go backward.

You know, what the building in the back is? I belive, that member, named Kruh, knows;)

You'd be right. Its Krško if I'm not mistaken.
Kruh

Postby Blurredman » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:09 am

As Puffs has said, please check your points are open and do not close for at least half the rotation of the cam.. I was having problems with running backwards recently that all came down to a crankshaft that was not balanced.

Additionally Klemmy, you have a lovely looking bike there. I notice you have Mitas H-03 on both the front and rear. I didn't like having such a tyre on the front of my ETZ- It felt funny going around corners! But, interesting your rear tyre looks as square as mine has also become (I currently have a H-03 on the rear too)! Plus, can I ask what size you have on both the front and rear please? I have a 3" Mitas H-03 to go on the rear of my ETZ to replace the 3.5" Mitas H-03 when that has worn through - and I thought a 3" might look silly but if yours is, then I don't think it does. :D

Additionally, as Kruh has mentioned that his electronic ignition can go backwards I must mention that once I had a Muller system and this also gave problems running backwards... Yours is a Muller Kruh?
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Kruh » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:01 am

Additionally, as Kruh has mentioned that his electronic ignition can go backwards I must mention that once I had a Muller system and this also gave problems running backwards... Yours is a Muller Kruh?

No, I'm running a GY6 11 pole alternator, with a Derbi CDI unit.
Kruh

Postby Puffs » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:48 am

Puffs

Postby klemmy » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:13 am

Yes, Kruh, that building is a Nuclear power plant Krško 8) Source of a "green energy" in front of two stroke motorcycle :D

Im glad you like my bike, Blurredman. And yes, the tires are both Mitas, the front is 2,75-18-H-03 and the back is 3,00-18-H-03. So its not as factory recommended 3,50, but I belive it doesnt look too silly :D
The both tires are very old-2012 year-so the changing them is a must. And there I made a rookie mistake and I didnt look at the bike specification for tires and I just simply order exactly the same size of tires as they are allready on the bike :roll: Im planning to change them in the next week. Anyway, Im not planning to do some speed records, so we will see, how they will perform on the road.

Can you tell me, is this the sound of a "surge on the overrun"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpTjoIdpmzE The slight knocking sound :?:
klemmy

Postby Blurredman » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:40 am

Hi Klemmy, yes you're right that 3" rear tyre doesn't look too out of place on the ETZ250 at all. I think the 3" H-03 I have will not look silly given what yours looks like. :) But I really didn't like the way the 3" Mitas H-03 felt on the front of my ETZ250 when I tried it :D

Either way, it doesn't actually look like you have all the much tread left anyway so I suppose it is up to you as to when to change. Believe me that I am not a big believer in tyre year codes but only for self interest. They are handy for giving the age of a tyre but I feel that fully exploring the tyre and looking at it every now and then and inspecting is much better than simply going from a manufacture year, potentially wasting lots and lots of money- I mean, I own 8 vehicles, imagine the cost of replacement tyres every 5-7 years? Of course it is the front tyres which last a long time though and they are the concern as time goes on.

Are the tyres still soft and maluable? I like to put my finger on a flat part of tread and see how much 45 degree pressure I apply in a rotational way before I feel it slide- some tyres I have picked up I think I will get rid of again because they are very hard and not much pressure is needed to make my finger slip. But the Mitas is in my opinion a pretty soft and forgiving tyre to age.

I actually have a 16/17 year old front tyre on my ETZ250 right now - infact I specifically bought it because I really like the tyre but it's not made anymore (or I can't get it locally) Michelin M45. But it's in great condition, flexible, crack free, feels great around corners, and also a 28 year old tyre on the front of my Suzuki TS185 - but I think I will be changing that soon more for offroading tread reasons plus maybe 28 years is actually pushing it more than most would accept. However this is just me- you accept your own risk towards using old tyres.

That said, when you look for new tyres sometimes you can get better deals with a 3" instead of buying a 3.5" or whatever. Sometimes the price difference really is quite a bit! Also I have encountered quite a difference in price on two tyres made by the same manufacterer but have different measurement, but the outcome in the same tyre. For example for me the Avon Roadrider II AM26 100/90x19 vs 3.25x19. The 3.25 is cheaper, and yet the size is exactly the same- seriously I have two one of each measurement side by side in my shed! So yes, look around! Also, I don't have any problem with using Asian tyres from Vietnam or Malaya. They're pretty good these days for the price! And actually the big brands don't necessarily last very long despite their name. Heidenau are much prefered by people who ride MZ's because they are a successor if you will to Pneumant - But I don't actually think much on these tyres, I don't much like their Pneaument copy designs but also they last a lot less time then competitors. The half price cheaper Mitas tyres (for example) last at least another 1/3 longer, at least for me! :-D :-D :-D

That bike linked sounds perfectly normal to me... Best thing is to video your own vehicle and we can have a listen, but so far each concern you have had and mentioned the same sound in other bikes you have linked a video of - they all sound normal... :-)

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:22 am

Puffs

Postby klemmy » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:16 am

Thank you all for your kind comments and advices :D

The 251 model was pretty rare in our place, Im not sure for the rest ex-yugoslavia countries. The most popular, as far as I recall, was ETZ 250, also 125/150 models, but as I said, as soon Japanese invasion started, they disappeared from the roads. I even remember, that they were making fun of them, in the way, that MZ stands for "Moje Zelje", which means "my cabbage" and so on and on.....

You should understand, that this kind of behavior is just another part of Balkan mentalitty :( People just turn their backs to (almost) all easters brands...

Here is mine ETZ from profile, so you can see, how it looks with 3,00 rear tire. Apologies for my shadow and glove on the floor. The bike was running and vibrations did their job :D
Attachments
20230312_160718.jpg
klemmy

Postby Blurredman » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:48 am

Thank you for the picture Klemmy, most helpful! I really dig your bike! A very nice example, nice colour. No rust that I can see.

Puffs: your rear tyre does look big but it doesn't strike me as much as how large your front tyre looks! :) :) It certainly fills the gap out.

I've heard the 251's were saught after by those in countries such as Poland because they were the newest and apparently 'greatest' MZ's. Now, I wouldn't say the 251's are better than the 250's, they both have different advantages due to the the way they are designed, but I wouldn't call the 251 the greatest. Anyway- all those Polish people I know, they won't ride anything other than a 251. None of them own ETZ250's or TS250's. But they do like the ES250's however.

The Japanese invasion as you call it effected everywhere. The British motorcycles, Americans, and Europeans. But I don't think necessarily it was a bad invasion. Clearly they had something that we all liked that allowed them to take over the world - and I say good on them for their taking advantage of the market situations and adapting/innovating to procure a market contract. We all know Suzuki are sneaky for taking MZ stuff but still the other big three Jap companies are arguably considered not dissimilar in their success in the motor trade, despite Suzuki's advantage.

Blurredman

Postby klemmy » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:37 am

You're ewelcome :wink:

Yes, there are some rust spots, not exactly visible, but nothing critical.

My MZ adventures has begun, ugess...I just came from a longer ride, and when I hit a pothole, the charging light comes on....something went loose, ugess. Any suggestion, which connections should I look? I switched off the engine and restarted it, the light is still on...
klemmy

Postby Puffs » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:31 am

Puffs

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Motorcycles