Some questions....

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Some questions....

Postby Louis Mair » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:48 am

PVL ignitions were fitted to some (circa 1994) MZs. They were not very wonderful.
Small air leaks (as has been suggested) can be hard to trace. If the right (generator) side seal fails it should suck in air (assuming the seal has been fitted correctly). Both seals face left. The manifold screws sometimes loosen just enough to upset the carburation. The inaccessible air filter of the ETZ may be in need of replacement?
Clutch adjustment does take a bit of getting used to. The clutches are very robust and cope with a sidecar.
Good luck!
Louis Mair has been different things to different people. Now I am a writer: http://www.mz301escocia.blogspot.com
Louis Mair

Postby difflock » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:04 am

mine is the old fashioned points/condenser type ignition.....

manifold had new gaskets fitted and threadlock on the bolts to stop them loosening
air filter was new/clean

the crank has a small groove starting where the crank seal fits :(
might have to see about double lipped seals....that should still seal on the undamaged part of the shaft! :?

As for the clutch, upon removal of the cover, I checked the 6 studs off the pressure plate were tight.

1 was loose as it was broken off, and another was finger tight (but unthreaded from the pressure plate)
the other 4 are still tight...
difflock

Postby Louis Mair » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:49 am

Your clutch has been damaged while pulling it off. So long as the shaft is still straight you can fit another one.
I'm not entirely sure that there was anything wrong with your old seals. I changed perfectly good ones (65,000 miles) over a defective pattern silencer. See "exhaust baffles me" on this very forum.
Don't give up! They are great bikes when they are in the mood.
Louis
Louis Mair has been different things to different people. Now I am a writer: http://www.mz301escocia.blogspot.com
Louis Mair

Postby difflock » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:51 pm

You misunderstood what I meant....

The clutch is still on the crankshaft...
The 6 studs that come from the pressure plate, 1 is broken, 1 is loose.....

The crank damage is on the generator side......
And believe me......the seal on that side is shredded :P

Its lost the entire inner seal where it rides on the crank......

I know they are good bikes when working.....mine did work for a short time.....
Brilliant fun to ride :D

I might see about another engine.....might be cheaper/easier.....

Will the 125/150cc engine fit the etz251 frame?
Either with no mods, or basic mods?

And has anyone got an engine cheap in good order or if its 250/300, needing a top end rebuild?
Preferably in cornwall, but could possibly sort courier.....
difflock

Postby Louis Mair » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:35 am

I managed to break two studs by pulling a clutch using a puller with legs. I can't imagine any other way that the previous owner (or persons unknown) broke a stud.
Your carburation problems could be caused by crank mis-alignment and the sucking in of air at the generator side. Once again i am qualified to comment on lean-burn MZs.
You now have the chance to look upon greasy bits that most of the T-shirt Club can only dream of. A crank is relatively cheap, you could improve your skills, ...
The first step to determining if your crank is out of alignment is to run a dial-gauge at both ends. Bolt a steel plate across the casing face so you can clamp the magnetic base of the gauge to the engine. You'll need a dial gauge to check the alignment of a new crank (should it prove necessary).
The ETZ 125 has a shorter frame and probably uses different engine plates.
Louis
Louis Mair

Previous

Return to Vintage Motorcycles