My ES250 restoration

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

My ES250 restoration

Postby Dzundzun » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:57 pm

I thought I would post a few pics along the way. I just picked up the tinware from the spray artist. Image

This chap used to race Nortons and he has a wideline Domi with an engine from one of the last P11As in it. Norton straights and a Manx flyscreen plus a genuine alloy tank and central oil tank.

Drool ....

Made a good job of the tank and the other tinware though.
Dzundzun

Re: My ES250 restoration

Postby stogadog » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Looking good. Nice to see another Trophy getting resurrected.
stogadog

Postby alembic1989 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:56 am

Looking good. I'm trying to get my trophy on the road too..my first mz.
I'm looking to replace the ancient carb on mine with a modern one...probably a mikuni....do you have any knowledge in this area? Are you gonna run the bike with the original carb?
alembic1989

Postby Dzundzun » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Badges now on the h/l cowl with "No More Nails"!

Yes original carb. Mind you, I've not started the bike yet!
Dzundzun

Postby stogadog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Don't see why you need to run a different carb - most of the parts to refurbish your old one are still available. AS mikuni isn't going to make it into a performance machine after all!
I do have an article about changing carbs though - it's primarily for ETZ's but does talk about 28mm carbs. Pm me and I'll send it.
stogadog

Postby Dzundzun » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Starting to put things together now. See pic.

I have a large "gasket" which clearly aligns with the three attachment holes in the front mudguard. Anyone know if it goes between the mudguard and the cast allow steering member or does it go beneath the mudguard?[url]Image[/url]

May need some help with the wiring also but sufficient unto the day!
Dzundzun

Postby Old Dog » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:43 am

Nice one!!

From my experience I would rate the BVFs over the Bing - more subtle, but the MIkuni are a fine carb indeed and if I had the cash I would be fitting one to my ETZ tomorrow
All the best

Old Dog

He hath no grave, is covered with the sky and the way to heaven out of all places is like in length and distance
Old Dog

Postby Dzundzun » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:44 am

Held up by work, life etc. Nearly there now. Wiring re-done and checked. Just wanted to double check re the connection from the charging light in the speedo. The wiring diagram is a bit unclear, circled here ...

but I reckon it's a blue wire which connects to here?
Dzundzun

Postby Dzundzun » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Still a bit puzzled about the wiring and in particular, the tell tales in the speedo. What do they do? Looking at the wiring diagram, one seems to have a double function? One a neutral tell tale and a repeater for the bar mounted indicator lights? The other a charging light on its own? Or am I wrong? At the moment, the speedo illumination seems to come on with the ignition! I assume I've wired the neutral tell tale lead with the illuminator lead?
Dzundzun

Return to Vintage Motorcycles