ETZ251 CAFE RACER PROJECT.

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

ETZ251 CAFE RACER PROJECT.

Postby Steve1200s » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:58 am

As some of you know, I bought a nice little ETZ last year that had been customized somewhat....

Now it’s got me through the winter months, it’s time to turn it into a little project!

It was always my intention to turn it into a Cafe Racer type bike, with spoke wheels. Well, the wheels came along sooner than expected! -

So the project has started! :D I've never fully restored/modified a bike, so I'm looking forward to it.

First job, I don’t want a battery or too many wires, so I've order a Powerdynamo (http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7144/9522main.htm to run it battery less with just light and a horn (speedo will come later, either a push bike computer, or a very small digital speedo, not decided yet).

I've removed all the wiring and fitted the wheels -

The bikes looking pretty good as is, and it pains me to put the headlight back on as I liked the stripped down look. at this point I almost abandoned the cafe racer goal, and almost went with it as is (after putting a seat and fenders on it of course!). It would only need a horn and brake light to run in the UK on a Daylight MOT.....

eventually, I decided I needed a front light, which ruined the 80s motocross looks, so the cafe racer project is back on!

I've now wired the bike back up, and is ready to plug into the powerdynamo when it arrives in a few days.

I've only got 3 switches, a high/dip beam (dip beam runs full time), a kill switch and a horn button on the handle bar (I've used the existing switch for the horn, but I'll replace it with a neater unit later on). the bike has no key or ignition barrel, as long as the kill switch isn’t pressed, it'll kick start. :D

I've used some small flick switched that I'm going to mount in the top of the headlight -

They are just there temporarily while I make sure the wiring works.

It all works when hooked up to a 12v battery, and the dynamo has a 12v DC output for lights (which effectively replaces the battery), so it should work ok.....

I'll keep adding photos for anyone else interested in my project. If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'd like to hear them. :)

(if the photos dont show correctly, you can see them here - http://www.photobucket.com/SDETZ251

cheers,
Steve.
-----------------------------------
Steve - Sheffield UK
BMW R1200S 'Nemo'
MZ ETZ251 'Ratty'
Steve1200s

Re: ETZ251 CAFE RACER PROJECT.

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:02 am

save a spot for a battery some areas of the world require a battery so the parking lamps work at night
and you do not want to fail mot or have a Bobbie write you a ticket for no parking lamps
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Steve1200s » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:25 am

Its ok here in the UK, you only need parking lights when parking on a 40mph limit road, which I dont do (always park on the pavement if i have to), and it's not enforced at all over here anyway (I ride down several 40mph limit roads to and from work, and I've never noticed a parking light in my 10 years of working, lots of parked cars though!)......

I am stumped about a number plate location though. :?: as I'm wanting the rear light to be directly behimd the solo seat, theres no room for the plate under the light...... I'll have to have a think about it....
Steve - Sheffield UK
BMW R1200S 'Nemo'
MZ ETZ251 'Ratty'
Steve1200s

Postby stogadog » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Thats looking pretty good! I too would ve been tempted to go the no lights routine as it looks well smart in the minimal flat tracker kind of style. What tank is it you have on there?
Hopefully I'm doing an MZ cafe racer soon ( as soon as I can find a cheap donor bike anyway) so I shall watch to see how you go on.
stogadog

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:38 pm

those big number plates you guys have would make a good mud flap on the rear if you can make it long and narrow
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Steve1200s » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:49 am

not sure what the tank is, it aluminium and it came on the bike when I bought it. It looks good polished up with some autosol though.
Only good for about 60miles though at a push. :shock:

Yea, I'm disapointed everytime i see the photos with no lights, look so good!
Steve - Sheffield UK
BMW R1200S 'Nemo'
MZ ETZ251 'Ratty'
Steve1200s

Postby radiograf » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:15 pm

The tank looks like an aftermarket type fitted to 1960's scrambles machines, as made by Dunstall or Cheeney. It certainly has a Monza fuel cap fitted.
radiograf

Postby Steve1200s » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Update:

Recieved a nice box of tricks from Germany today-

Old stator removed, oil seal looks in good condition.

New stator plate installed, really easy job.

All wired in and ready to go. Just need to tidy wires up a bit.

And! It started first kick! The lights are really bright and seems to run stronger.

The video isn't very good, and yes, my brother is holding the exhaust on at a funny angle!

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h438/Stephen_Dickinson/ETZ251%20CAFE%20RACER/c1f06aab.mp4

Cheers,
Steve.
Steve - Sheffield UK
BMW R1200S 'Nemo'
MZ ETZ251 'Ratty'
Steve1200s

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:49 pm

the powerdyno dot biz systems work good
friend has a 1965 bmw with one installed
and the bike runs much better
the mag and coil on it was very sick
not cheap but solves a big problem with the old bikes
his converted to 12volts and runs his
Yaesu FT-817 ham radio to keep in touch with home on long road trips
he gets in places the cell phone does not work
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Postby Steve1200s » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Another Update -

This weekend was spent finalizing wiring and cleaning up the back wheel. -

I've cleaned and seviced the rear bracke and cush drive assembly, plus restored the origonal brake light switch inside the brake drum, which I think is very cool.
I've cleaned the wheelr im, but left the hub, as it would be fiddly to clean up well, so I'm going to wait until I've got the cash to have them sandblasted and powder coated.
also noticed the chain is very close to the oversized rear tire... :shock: may need to invent a chain guard to make sure they dont touch.

Job 2 was to make a 'tray' to fix the electronics to. This on is the mock up -

My brother who is afabricator is going to weld on into the subframe (essentially filling in the gap inbetween the frame rails), which will them be powder coated. It will also be lower down so the electrics dont contact the seat unit. the odds and ends that are welded to the sub frame will also be removed, and the sub frame will be cut down. also, when I find a rear light that I like, a bracket will be made to suit it.

polished engine casing looking good! :D
Steve - Sheffield UK
BMW R1200S 'Nemo'
MZ ETZ251 'Ratty'
Steve1200s

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:03 pm

make sure the electrical gets lots of air some of that potted stuff runs very hot
and some grease like they use on transistor heat sinks to help get out the heat

but no water please
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Postby BBSparky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 am

Looking good. Should have a quick look on britchopper as there are a few of us with MZ projects on there. Just got mine running this weekend and have a few little cosmetic bits left to do.

have details on mine here
BBSparky

Postby Steve1200s » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:19 pm

New electronics box installed. Looking pretty good.
Steve - Sheffield UK
BMW R1200S 'Nemo'
MZ ETZ251 'Ratty'
Steve1200s

Postby awac » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:28 pm

A very nice job that tray. I am doing the same on the Trophy, putting all electrics under seat, I am just lucky it came as standard, it was just called a tool tray LOL! Once again nice job, post a photo when all wired up.
awac

Postby Steve1200s » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:40 am

Update!

The wiring tray has now been fixed, and the wireing loom has been finished. I've but everything into the tray, but It will all come out again once I've bought a decent rear light (not found one I like yet), and will have a decent bracket welded to the back face to support the light.

Next job was to install the switches into the headlight. One is for main/dip beam, and the other is the kill switch.

I've also removed all the auto lube kit from the bike, except the pump (I'm not sure whats behind it, so I'm leaving it for now).

Slowly making progress!
Steve - Sheffield UK
BMW R1200S 'Nemo'
MZ ETZ251 'Ratty'
Steve1200s

Next

Return to Vintage Motorcycles