New Owner of 1974 MZ TS250

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: New Owner of 1974 MZ TS250

Postby therealche » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Ah the joys of the US Spec MZs! Someone decided to replace the lights indicators etc with stuff from Joe Lucas (Prince of Darkness) and mess about with the wiring! Not sure if anyone has made a diagram for them, not seen one so far.
ES250 Doppelport, ES250, ES250/1, ES250/2,ETS 250, ES150, ETS150, BK350, IWL Pitty, SR56 Wiesel, SR59 Berlin, Troll............ and thats just the German two strokes!
http://thecomeconcollection.blogspot.com/
therealche

Postby witofthestaircase » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:21 pm

I found this elderly thread while working out the wiring of the TS250/1 that I've owned for 34 years which was modified early in my ownership losing its rev counter, direction indicators, headlamp with its ears, ignition switch and handlebar switches and gaining a chrome shelled headlamp on Tommaselli brackets, a fabricated speedo bracket and Suzuki ignition and handlebar switches. It had all seemed a good idea to my young mind at the time. Now, following many years under a tarpaulin in the garden, its resurrection is including reinstatement of a set of indicators making use of the previously redundant indicator function of the Suzuki handlebar switch cluster, a TS250 4 speed headlamp and ears with the speedo now in the headlamp bowl and a replacement TS250/1 ignition switch.
So the description of the six main switch positions was valuable and having cross referenced that information with the wiring diagram and back of my new (to me) ignition switch I can add a little more information that may be of use to the next lost soul that stumbles this way:

Main Switch terminal identifiers seen on the actual main switch and in the wiring diagram:
Terminal 30: Supply from the battery to the switch. i.e. remains live when the bike is switched off and the key withdrawn
Terminal 15/54: Feed to brake light, indicators, horn, ignition coil, neutral light and hi beam pass light
Terminal 56: Feed to headlight dip/hi beam, speedo illumination
Terminal 58: Feed to parking light, tail light, numberplate light
Terminal 61: Supply from dynamo

Referring back to the 1 to 6 method of describing the key positions - most anticlockwise for 1 and most clockwise for 6:
Position 1: Takes supply from terminal 61 and feeds to terminal 15/54 (Pos 5 on diagram)
Position 2: Takes supply from terminal 30 and feeds to terminal 58 (Pos 4 on diagram)
Position 3: No terminals are connected (Pos 0 on diagram)
Position 4: Takes supply from terminal 30 and feeds to terminal 15/54 (Pos 1 on diagram)
Position 5: Takes supply from terminal 30 and feeds to terminals 15/54 and 58 (Pos 2 on diagram)
Position 6: Takes supply from terminal 30 and feeds to terminal 15/54, 56 and 58 (Pos 3 on diagram)

My apologies to anyone who already knew!
witofthestaircase

Postby ivor » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:25 am

Hi, sorry for the thread hijack and resurrecting an old thread, but, I am rebuilding a TS 125/150 and have found a weird problem. I have totally restored the bike, and wired her from scratch. I have nearly managed to replicate the original colours, with only a couple of exceptions. All connected and working well, and I have found that diagram you guys are using from the 'net, and it's really helped.
But, the speedometer wiring is puzzling. I have the two black & white (mine are red & white) speedo illumination lights connected to the two bulbs, and the brown (earth) connected to the earth tag on the speedo body. They work fine. That leaves two 'idiot' light bulbs. One has two tags, one surrounding the bulb holder, the other at the base. I connected the black power lead from the ignition switch to one, and the blue from the neutral switch to the other. Sure enough, the light shows up when the bike is in neutral, and off when I put the bike in gear.
All good, however, that leaves one idiot light, (that is a combined flasher warning light, and charging warning light), there are two wires left, one reg/green from the regulator via the ignition switch, and the blue/black from the indicators. Problem ?
Only one bulb with one tag.
Looking at the diagram, the blue/black appears to be either hanging in mid air, or is joined to an invisible tag ! Take a look at the diagram, blow it up and look, top right. I have dragged out the old wires from the box that I threw them in, and the number and colour of wires from the original part of the loom matches mine exactly, one more wire than anything to join them to. Is there a 'piggyback' tag missing, i.e. do I join the charge wire and indicator wire to the same tag ?
I haven't tried running the bike yet, I have a gearshift selection problem, (another story !).
Cheers for any help, Tony.
ivor

Previous

Return to Vintage Motorcycles