Custom Exhaust, ETZ 251

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Custom Exhaust, ETZ 251

Postby Steve1200s » Sat May 05, 2012 3:00 am

Hi guys,

More a general question about 2strokes really. I know expansion chambers are there to provide back pressure, and a stock MZ exhaust has loads of baffles to do a similar job, but what about a straight pipe? I know it would have to be long ( I'd stop it about 50mm past the back tire) to give a bit of resistance to the gases flowing through it, but would the bike run?

I'm not concerned with losing a bit of power, as long as it wouldn't damage the engine and it doesn't reduce to power down to almost nothing.... I'm happy with 50mph out of the MZ to be honest (had 70 once, it was scary!).

Reason I ask is I'm trying to do up my ETZ without spending any more cash - I've already spent £400+ on bits, including a power dynamo and creating a full wireing loom from scratch to remove the battery.
But now the other half wants me start saving more towards our house and getting married instead of buying bike stuff! :(. My brother (fabricator) has some stainless pipe that's just right for a 4stroke style exhaust, so would be free and look good!
-----------------------------------
Steve - Sheffield UK
BMW R1200S 'Nemo'
MZ ETZ251 'Ratty'
Steve1200s

Re: Custom Exhaust, ETZ 251

Postby stuart-glos » Mon May 07, 2012 3:17 am

Steve

Love the GS-ified MZ. Just bought a 301 to convert it to a trail bike (never had an MZ before).

I'd like to remove the battery on mine - if possible could you post your wiring diagram on the website please?

Re exhaust - I've just bought a Suzuki bandit exhaust on ebay with the idea of chopping it up to make a high level exhaust for the 301. I had assumed once I'd got all the bends sorted out I'd just stick a basic 2 stroke silencer on it (a Dep or similar). However, when I used to run 2 stroke Jap trail bikes about 30 years ago the baffle was little more than a perforated pipe wrapped in some kind of wadding. It might have been fibre glass - I've no idea? Regardless, when it broke down you could pull out the baffle tube from the end of the exhaust and re-wrap it with wire wool. It worked for a while but eventually burnt out and broke up.

Sorry I can't be of much help. If you're able to share any build hints or tips on your GS-ified bike or upload any more photos, that would be a great help.

cheers

stuart
stuart-glos

Postby therealche » Mon May 07, 2012 6:32 am

Hi Stuart
Steve has fitted a powerdynamo set up to his engine which allows running without a battery. its an expensive piece of kit but a lot of people speak very highly of them.
http://www.powerdynamo.biz/deu/systems/lists/mz.php
ES250 Doppelport, ES250, ES250/1, ES250/2,ETS 250, ES150, ETS150, BK350, IWL Pitty, SR56 Wiesel, SR59 Berlin, Troll............ and thats just the German two strokes!
http://thecomeconcollection.blogspot.com/
therealche

Postby Steve1200s » Mon May 07, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi Stuart,

Unfortunately the MZ isn't the same now, it's been made back into a road bike. The previous owner did the off road conversion.

All the photos I have are on my photo bucket page (I'll post a link).

As above, I've removed all the standard wiring loom and made a custom one from scratch to work with the power dynamo (highly recommended bit of kit!!! .... If you can afford it), not sure I can remember off hand how the loom works, but there are only about 6 wires! The lights don't work without the engine running though, and there is no key, just kick and go! It has a kill switch though.

Sorry I can't be more help... I do have a bunch of parts from the bike if your interested?
-----------------------------------
Steve - Sheffield UK
BMW R1200S 'Nemo'
MZ ETZ251 'Ratty'
Steve1200s

Return to Vintage Motorcycles