No spark in my ETS project - ideas??

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

No spark in my ETS project - ideas??

Postby stogadog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Well, I have got the engine loosely in the frame of my Trophy sport with a TS engine project so I thought I would just make sure it has a spark before trying to get the other engine mount sorted.
Not that simple - I can't get the bugger to spark for love nor money!
I have tried two different coils, both of which I know are OK as I have used them in my Trophy. I've changed the condensor (several times) and tried two different sets of points, making sure that I have the gap of 0.3mm. When I try the ignition I'm getting 6volts to the coil and down to the condensor so that seems OK. I have made sure that the HT lead is tight both ends and conducts properly ( 0 ohms along it) and Ive tried three different plugs, one of which is out of the Trophy so I know it works.
ARGHHHH! I must be missing something. I have no idea what though, my head is spinning tonight so I've given up for now.
Any ideas???
stogadog

Re: No spark in my ETS project - ideas??

Postby radiograf » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:49 pm

If you have only loosley fitted the engine you may not be getting a good earth. The spark plug earths through the engine, so i would fit an earth fom the engine to the negative terminal on your battery.
radiograf

Postby stogadog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:13 am

Yes - I think thats what going on. After talking to a few folk they say that I shouldn't get 6v at the condensor all the time and I am. I'm going to earth the battery to the engine later and see what happens then.
stogadog

Postby stogadog » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:38 am

Cheers for assistance - it was the battery earth. Earthed the battery to the engine and there we go - big blue spark!
Now we can try and make it go...
stogadog

Postby radiograf » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:31 pm

No problem, glad to be of service.
radiograf

Return to Vintage Motorcycles