Bing carb or other? Fix or sell as is? 251 Saxon Tour

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Bing carb or other? Fix or sell as is? 251 Saxon Tour

Postby treehouse » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:29 am

Hi guys,

Things didn't work out as expected when I was last here, celebrating my 1993 ETZ 251 Saxon Tour. I thought I'd fix the problems, ride it loads, be on the forum a lot, go to meets, etc. That was just shy of 3 years ago. I've hardly ridden it, and never managed to solve the problems (mostly due to lack of time and being lazy). I've ridden it enough to know that it's not really for me and I need to sell it, hopefully within the next few weeks.

What I'm wondering is whether to get a Bing carb or some other type, and if anyone can recommend where from. Would it be safer to get a new carb rather than risk a used one? I think it's probably best if I fix the bike and get her running again before I sell, but I'm also open to suggestions or offers - if someone desperately wants to take it off my hands as is. I paid £660 for it on eBay, and I'd really like to get that back, at least, but I'm not sure what it's worth running or non-running. I'm in Harrogate, North Yorkshire, in case anyone's passing and wants to buy it!

The history...
It had a bad judder on the overrun since I got it, which I've been advised is just a matter of tuning (and/or tightening the exhaust downpipe clamp or something). The carb is a "Ken Tse 84" Taiwanese job, doesn't fit the manifold properly, and then failed last year, so that's probably the only thing stopping it run. I've got a really good mechanic who charges very reasonable prices and has done a good job so far. When it failed last year (it kept stalling unless revved high, or would run slow but stall if revved) he found that a retaining clip round one of the jets was broken and, failing to find one anywhere, made one out of a piece of wire, and it ran again for a few months. It subsequently died again and is now not running. He said I should probably get a new carb first, he'll fit that and then he'll be able to see if that's all it is or if there's anything else wrong. I'm assuming that the correct Bing carb would solve the fitting the manifold problem.

Other known issues are the typical blistering of the paint on the plastic tank, and some of the rubber bits are on their way out (cable end covers, that kind of thing). It's been under a bike cover and in a car-port, and done a total of about 33,000 km. Blue, original with decals and front fairing, also rear carrier. New battery a few months ago.

Any advice or sources gratefully received. Maybe I'll also post in the offered section...or wait until she's running again. Such a pity - despite the frustrations with this one, I've got a lot of affection for the bike, but I want something modern, electric start, smaller, lighter, lower, and 4-stroke. In fact, I think I've settled on getting a Derbi Mulhacen 125 Cafe. Or maybe hang up my helmet. :smt005

Cheers
I got a blue one to go with the smoke
treehouse

Return to Vintage Motorcycles