Ts150 poor starting/running

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Ts150 poor starting/running

Postby Malj » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:14 am

Hi, having a few starting and running issues with my 1974 TS150, I think there all linked however let's start with the starting problem, I've put fresh fuel in the tank and cleaned the carb, charged a known good battery up and tried to start the bike up, eventually got it to fire up but it only ran for a few minutes then ground to a stop.

took out the plug and it looks like fuel is getting to the engine maybe a bit to much the plug was fairly wet.

Tried shorting the plug against the head and got a very weak and intermittent spark. Checked the voltage across the battery and it was only showing 2.5 volts so something draining the battery. Had a poke around the wiring hand found the blue/green wire from the generator to the regulator(new electronic type) to be fairly hot so maybe a fault on the regulator or generator.

I've ordered new points, condenser and brush gear so will change them when they arrive, but any help or ideas would be great.

Cheers Mal
Malj

Re: Ts150 poor starting/running

Postby Malj » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Think (hope) I've tracked down problem, I've continuity between the green/blue wire from the field coil to earth I believe this shows damage more than likely a broken winding wire in the field coil, I get the same short when I check continuity between the commutator and earth.
I am stripping out the generator during the week to test it on the bench, if it's goosed I think I'll fit a electronic system.
Malj

Re: Ts150 poor starting/running

Postby MZ250Ben » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:00 pm

I'd go electronic. I've put a powerdynamo ignition in my 250 and what a difference. You can maintain the original look, no one will ever know. It's available for the ts 150 as well, you can get it for 6 or 12 volts.
MZ250Ben

Return to Vintage Motorcycles