MZ ES150/1 Trophy throttle action.

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MZ ES150/1 Trophy throttle action.

Postby fatnslow » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:28 am

The throttle on my 150 trophy is very slow to return after being twisted. Any suggestions how to make it snap shut?

If I disconnect the cable at the bars and pull/let go of the end of the cable the throttle snaps shut.
Once reconnected to the throttle grip (which has an internal worm drive to open the throttle), it will pretty much stay wherever the throttle is positioned.

I have fully backed out the friction screw.
I have cleaned and greased the inner assembly.

Any ideas how to sort this or is it how the bike is supposed to be?
The throttle action is smooth enough but won't return easily under it own steam.
Last edited by fatnslow on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatnslow

Re: MZ ES150/1 Trophy throttle action.

Postby fatnslow » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:32 am

It's this model

fatnslow

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:45 pm

the center hole in the worm gear is gone bad try some new parts in the twist grip
most of my old bmw bikes have reached the point where you have to turn it off because of the ware
it binds up
do some junk box diving at your friends place that never junks any thing for a better worm gear
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby fatnslow » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks David, but it's not as good as the BMW set up. All parts renewed and the throttle return was still not as I would like, i.e. slow to return, rather than snap shut.
To solve this completely I fitted a TS250 throttle grip and housing. Coupled with a TS125 throttle cable this all works great. Just in case anyone else does this, make sure the cable adjuster on top of the carb is screwed all the way home. Then adjust the tickover by turning the cable adjuster as required.
Very happy with the mod, every thing used is stock MZ. The only modification that's needed is a new hole in the throttle grip to allow it to align with the hole in the handlebar. This set up allows the handlebar end indicators to be retained, but sadly the stock mirror can not be used.
fatnslow

Return to Vintage Motorcycles