Timing a modified bike

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Timing a modified bike

Postby Puffs » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:32 am

Following a moderator choice that is IMO biased and flawed (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Thanks very much for that Puffs. Quite insightful.. One quesiton.. Why didn't you join the forum years ago... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The head is machined to accomodate the fact that the piston has the possibility of interfereing with it. Though this is removed with the thicker headgaskets required.

I had a mess around tonight with the machine. Whatever I did, whether it was 5 degrees btdc or otherwise. It would still start backwards at least half the time.

I have forgotten completely, have I changed the points!? I don't know.. They could provide the 'bounce' that is giving a spark. At this point we are inferring that the ignition is at fault here, for whatever reason.

You're right, I could try the electronic ignition. Obviously that will not provide a spark for the backwards running. I did however notice tonight that the lobe is quite scored, lengthways to which the points would rest. I don't know how they got so damaged so, I will try a new set of points and a spare lobe I have before I go into replacing the points with electronic, if needed.

Thanks. :)
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:00 am

Following a moderator choice that is IMO biased and flawed (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:41 am

Thanks puff for the condensed info.

Well, I tested a spare lobe and points. And at first the bike ran better. But still, at idle, it mis-fires like it wants to run backwards. It didn't do so whilst It was running, but did run backwards on an unsufficient kick-start kick.

I've kinda given up. I'm not even going to be putting electronic ignition on it, because for me- Putting on the original 250 barrel and piston is less effort as it stands, as odd as that sounds.

And in honesty, I'm not really sure I was quite happy with the power delivery. It seemed quite low end, as you say puffs, and although would quite happily get to the higher RPM, it was not lightening. Disapointed. :?

I have read a lot regarding overboring and timing issues/engine expansion in Hungary, a very supportive populace of the MZ. No one can get it right there, either.. :lol:

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 am

Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Tonight I put the original 250 barrel and piston that came off the bike on the engine..

I made careful measurements of each item and found them within spec (regarding gasket thickness etc).

At first ran fine.. Ran pretty well.

But my usual test route of only 1 mile, soon I found that it was mis-firing on the idle.

I'm very confused and disheartened. It was a very unsuccessful test as I had to push the bike back to the house. When I got back it would start but idle and then cut out every half second.. Like it was counting a second. Stalling, then another second, then stall. Repeat..

I tried 3x spark plugs to rule those out. The cylinder was quite warm in my opinion. But.. It is air cooled...

It's a possibility that this replacement crank has the timing cam seat off. I am pretty sure I compared this (I have a memory back there somewhere), however between the old crank and the replacement, before I installed it.

Spark plug colour is nice tan brown. It doesn't sound like metal on metal, so I don't 'THINK' the piston is expanding and seizing. Either way the piston has 30k and you can definately hear the piston slap in it so I don't think that is the cause.

Don't be fooled however. This above problem has only recently reared it's head. Infact... Before I put the motorcycle away for a few months, the bike ran backwards if It started incorrectly, sure... But I did 700 miles on it and when it was idling, the engine characteristics would not change.

I have changed the cam, changed the points, capacitor, coil, (and i can confirm that it is charging!)..

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:46 am

But on the upside: I don't hear you saying it's still running backwards!

What you now have sounds like a loose electrical connection somewhere. Does the charge light come on directly when it stalls (so with the engine still turning)? Can your HT lead leak somewhere? Plug cap?

Sorry, no clear solution from me... Good luck...
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:01 am

Well.. Unfortunately. It did :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - Just the once. But I can't determine whether this was a byproduct of the general crap idle, which I am also adament is electrical.
I will be going over the wiring soon.

Im not sure whether the charge light was on or not. I am going to say yes. It doesn't help on the old clock set I have on this bike, that the charge and neutral light are both orange. But.. When I came to a junction, and it started 'missing', I did see an orange light. So yes. The charge light does come on when this occurs. But presumably that is only because the engine RPM is not satisfying the requirement of the regulator. Nothing more to read into that, I think.
The charge light stays on when the engine stops.

HT lead and plug are new- as part of the rebuild. :?

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:08 am

Mine had a loose connection in the fuse box, and when the ignition stopped, the charge light came on. Have a look there.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:12 am

Puffs wrote:Mine had a loose connection in the fuse box, and when the ignition stopped, the charge light came on. Have a look there.

I bloody hope I didn't go through all this trouble and (breaking a 300cc ring, btw ) for one faulty connection...

I've always found the MZ wires and connections to be fairly good. That is... so long as they only involve things that aren't compulsory for the bike to run, ie indicators. Otherwise, they're crap. :lol: :lol:

Blurredman

Postby Blurredman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:01 am

Just to update.

Still not solved.
Rectifier, regulator, coil and stator have been changed again to rule any electrical thing out.
It is not a coincidence I feel that this has started since the re-build- surely?

Anyway- I've had enough. I've decided to purchase a 'Muller' electronic ignition from Hungary which is just the backing plate and sendor- it is completely without the black box- so it's really simple to set up, and relatively cheap- If it doesn't work- It will be something I will always carry around with me- as it is just the electronic adjustment plate, two wires for coil and positive power, and the sendor disc- incase my MZ with electronic ignition (different type) should ever fail. :lol:

Blurredman

Postby Blurredman » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:03 am

So...disapointment AND Revelation in one..

The electronic ignition didn't work.. At least that rules out the possibility of points chatter, bad points, or cam.

The bike reacted EXACTLY as other times. Runs well when cold. 10 minutes riding and you find power is low. You stop, and the idle will be settled at 1k RPM and not the 1300 or even 1500 it was set at. It runs lumpy. Then eventually the bike will fail to even run at all and keep stalling. You adjust the plate to retard to get you home. Very slowly as lacking power.

Luckily however- before I did all that work, I compared both my MZ's. Specifically the 'key' in the rotor which controls where the timing point would be and I did find a difference, albeit small- but likely a breakthrough in my problem, and what I had a feeling might be the issue. (after all- the only thing different was the crankshaft).

I measured as best I could, what the difference was in MM between the edge of the 'key' in the rotor to the, although unreliable- the best place I could achieve at that time, the edge of the timing adjustment plate base. (not the timing plate itself). I found a 1mm difference! The Working bike (and I will measure tomorrow what my brother's MZ's is like to confirm) had a 6mm gap. The bike with the problems had 5mm! Obviously the timing key on the crank is off! Which explains why the bike ran so much better when I seemed to be setting firing at '0.5mm' before TDC... It is too pre-mature a spark, and although it doesn't run backwards, this is likely the problem of the compression on previous 300cc cylinder.

This gap was measured with pistons on both machines measured at 2.5(ish)mm BTDC. 1MM gap in that small revolution has a significant amount of difference! But.. I need to find out how much that equates to the 'mm measurement' taken from the spark plug with the piston. I can quite likely find that it 'would seem artificially' that the best firing point would be '0mm BTDC/Fire at TDC'. of course this is artificial and not actually the case, but as long as I remember what the actual firing point is of this machine then the problem should be solved, right????

The pin for the stator rotor has obviously been put in the wrong place.., if not by the smallest amount...

I'm hoping, that adjustment via the plate is still available, and getting the true 22degree firing point is not out of range of the adjustment plate..

We're getting somewhere Puffs....
Attachments
timingkey.jpg

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:53 am

Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:03 am

Yes. the two posts are different. The fact that the bike doesn't work properly is inconsequential to the electronic ignition in my opinion.

I'm finding it very hard to look at aventues as to what could be wrong.. Very difficult indeed. Perhaps I am grasping at straws. I agree however that the adjustment of the plate should remove this problem of key placement.

I measure the position of the piston with a timing tool with mm increments identified.

I must say though, that the crank I put in the bike is not the same crank that blew a big end. Merely a replacement that I picked up on my travels..

Blurredman

Postby parrbd » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Try running the bike with a hot wire. Run a wire from the battery positive to the coil positive. This way all other switching systems are bypassed. As long as your wiring from the coil to the points and condensor are good and the battery is fully charged the motor should run with the ignition turned off.
parrbd

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Motorcycles