accident

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

accident

Postby boilermaker » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:22 am

To All
Last week a local MZ Mastiff rider came off his machine at (thankfully) low speed. On examining the machine it was noted that the shear bolts holding the Ignition switch assembly to the steering head had loosened, and one of them had actually dropped out and jammed the steering head. I have since discovered that this is not an isolated case of loose shear bolts. I therefore strongly recommend that anyone owning a machine fitted with this type of steering lock/ignition switch make a close examination of the bolt/nut set up to check for any indications of nut/bolt loosening. This potentially lethal set up gives me serious cause for concern as in the case of an accident and without close forensic examination, the cause could be attributed to rider error. As an Engineer I find that any design that allows this to happen fundamentally (and lethally) flawed. I am not going to suggest a remedy here on this forum, but if I was to do so it may contain advice concerning the use of nylon insert nuts and threadlocking compounds.
George Waite I. Eng.
boilermaker

Re: accident

Postby Skorpion » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:56 am

The Scorpion has this exact same problem, I have had mine come loose twice now,
but I find it impossible to remove the screws, due to their security head design, but can tighten them ok.

So if your ignition switch seems to wobble, CHECK those screws, your LIFE may depend on it.
Last edited by Skorpion on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skorpion

Postby basser23 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:32 am

Excellent advice....will check mine immed! know what ya mean about those security heads....
basser23

Postby aah5 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:01 pm

Happened to my Tour, pulled top yoke off immediately, removed the offending article and replaced with SS screw,spring washer and Loctite, fixed. The Sport got the same treatment but because it had been left out in the weather by previous owner they were severely corroded in situ and required drilling out carefully. I don't know why they used the break off bolts as it is near impossble to get the screws out unless you nave a special double jointed tool.
aah5

Postby rodge70 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:47 pm

same happend to my baggy with in warranty period,noticed the lock moved slighty when turning the key, looked a bit closer and one bolt had fallen out and other was loose,so fitted a couple of turned down allen bolts then had them replaced at service,though still kept the bolts just in case.
rodge70

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:23 pm

warn your friends about this
there are a bunch of bikes that use this key system

see this link for a list of some but not all
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2596&p=14824&hilit=keykey#p14824
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125 +1995 Saxon Tour (rotax500cc)
1997 MZ Skorpion Traveller added 6/13/09
Located in WV USA
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
E mail wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby billtraveller » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:31 pm

I found the bolts holding my Skorp Traveller ignition switch were loose when I got it a couple of months ago . They were of the " one way tighten " type of slotted screw . Luckily they were free enough to tease out with a small sharp screwdriver & were replaced with allen bolts - well tightened . Regards Bill .
billtraveller

Postby Jurrien » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:58 pm

Can anyone please share a picture of the problem?

I see the one-way bolts in the ignition switch from my skorpion but I do not see how they can lock the steering in any way?
Jurrien

Postby basser23 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:49 pm

if they fall out,the switch drops and can lock the forks from turning....
basser23

Postby mincehead » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:41 am

Yep, both Skorps I have owned `rattled` the originals undone. Best taken out and replaced with cap heads, star washers under the heads and / or Loctite on the threads sorts it once and for all.
I will add though, it sometimes takes a wee while to re-learn just where the steering lock locates IF you want to use it.
The loose ignition barrel almost helps it locate and easily lock.
mincehead

Postby Jurrien » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:53 am

Ok, thanks. I thought it was the bolt itself that locked up the steering, but it is the whole ignition switch, if it falls off.
Jurrien

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:32 am

its the whole lot of parts that causes the problem..
keep in mind this switch is used on a bunch of bike BRANDS

and the mz is not the only one that i have heard of it getting loose on...

any bike with this zada lock needs inspected ... better yet new hex (allen head) bolts an loctite

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125 +1995 Saxon Tour (rotax500cc)
1997 MZ Skorpion Traveller added 6/13/09
Located in WV USA
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
E mail wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby iaMZip » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:30 am

YIKES!!! I am glad I logged in today. I will have to check my bike, I believe the ignition is pretty wiggly...
iaMZip

Postby Linegeist » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:44 am

iaMZip wrote:YIKES!!! I am glad I logged in today. I will have to check my bike, I believe the ignition is pretty wiggly...

Scary eh? When I got my Skorp, it had a VERY loose igntnion switch - but I simply thought it was normal, put it down to age and dismissed it as unimportant.

Until I read this!

That was when I quickly scheduled a morning for taking the steering lock system apart and refitting it all correctly. The dratted thing was just about ready to fall off too! :shock:

You live and learn on here, fur sure.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum BTW! :smt006
Linegeist

Postby iaMZip » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:41 am

Thanks, I've actually been here a while, just don't post much. And I rode my bike into work today without checking it!!! I think I'll go have a look at it now...
iaMZip

Next

Return to 1000S