95 Skorpion Sport - how to remove carburator?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: 95 Skorpion Sport - how to remove carburator?

Postby barko1 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:50 am

I have one of those o rings, not sure how old but
i could send it. Should be available like others said,
barko1

Postby dandywarhol » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:32 pm

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:the PIN in some cases is tapered and if driven out in the wrong direction
can make things break
measure each end and see which is smaller

There is an arrow on the float mount showing the direction of fitment.

The needle valve holder is a push fit (once the crosshead screw has been removed). A pair of longnose pliers with some cardboard or cloth in the jaws will remove it to access the gauze filter
Whale oil beef hooked
dandywarhol

Postby WaiNYC » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 pm

I am close, I am real close...

Finally got the float pin removed -- somehow it got really stuck, and I had to employ some light hammering and even a locking plier to get the pin out -- and cleaned the float bowl, as well as adjusting its height. I also had the idle screw's o-ring replaced (thanks breakwellmz for the tips of asking a local bike shop) and installed the plunger-style choke.

And today just before sundown, I managed to put the carb back on the bike and reconnect all the hoses.

The only thing left to do is to put the tank back on, connect the fuel line, and press that start button.... Fingers crossed.
WaiNYC

Postby WaiNYC » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:11 pm

I have a quick question about reinstalling the gas tank - Is it necessary to remove the rear chrome bracket at the rear of the gas tank in order to install tank?

I fiddled with the two screws a bit, but they just turn and turn without loosening the bracket itself.

And if removal of the bracket is not necessary, then it seems to me that in order to have the chrome bracket to be seated inside the black metal tabs (see pic), some forcing is necessary and that would bend and weaken and someday even break the rear end of the gas tank where the chrome bracket is fitted to.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated... I am on the last stretch now :-)

Pix Gas tank rear bracket.jpg
WaiNYC

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:36 pm

removal of the tank bracket is NO the screws will not hold in the tank and its very hard to fix

and tanks are very high on the list of unobtainable items even when waving large amounts of cash

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby WaiNYC » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:52 pm

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:removal of the tank bracket is NO the screws will not hold in the tank and its very hard to fix

and tanks are very high on the list of unobtainable items even when waving large amounts of cash

dave

Thanks David. So, I just... force it in? Has anyone got any learned lesson for me to for installing the tank?

And oh, BTW, the engine starts :D YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Many thanks to all ;-)
WaiNYC

Postby basser23 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:47 pm

Be sure you push the tank FORWARD until it wont go any further into the front holder!!!! it is the possible to work 2 bolts into the rear most holes..you may need a drift to center the one side, then put bolt in loosely and do the otherside....eventually you;ll get them all in...no fun
basser23

Postby billr » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:24 pm

WaiNYC wrote:I fiddled with the two screws a bit, but they just turn and turn without loosening the bracket itself.

Yep, they do that. I noticed on mine that the washers were spinning, also.
Try a pair of Channel Locks on the washers under the bolt heads.
Hold the washer with the pliers and turn the bolts with a socket.
I was able to get mine out that way, then lots of anti-seize...
Good Luck.
Bill R
billr

Postby WaiNYC » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:28 pm

basser23 wrote:Be sure you push the tank FORWARD until it wont go any further into the front holder!!!! it is the possible to work 2 bolts into the rear most holes..you may need a drift to center the one side, then put bolt in loosely and do the otherside....eventually you;ll get them all in...no fun

Perhaps I did not try hard or long enough, but the holes on the bracket and the tab do not appear to be aligned. Of course, this cannot be! And so I only managed to put in one bolt on each side. I think I will leave it like that for now. I really just want to take the bike out for a ride, finally!!!. I will just have to check the bolts frequently in the meantime.
WaiNYC

Postby samandkimberly » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Oh yes it can be. Nylon tanks expand slightly on exposure to the alcohol in modern gas. This is a one time only expansion, about 5-7%, and it doesn't go back if you get rid of the alcohol. It is why most Skorpions have cracked or repaired paint, the faring side pieces don't fit together at the bottom of the tank in front of the seat, and the bracket doesn't fit w/o a lot of effort.

Sam
samandkimberly

Postby WaiNYC » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:56 pm

I have been riding my bike for more than a week now. It's got new tires and all road-worthy. Thank you for all the help :-)
Attachments
IMG_20151011_113700.jpg
WaiNYC

Postby phoenix76rb » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:31 am

Very inspiring! I've been away for awhile. It was nice to see this thread. Coincidentally, I just finished laboriously and painstakingly removing, cleaning, and replacing the choke plunger on my Skorpion just last week, discovering on my own many of the issues you brought up in this thread!

Tim
--
Tim in Herndon, VA, USA
1995 MZ-660 Skorpion Sport
1975 Ducati 750GT round-case (basket case)
1967 Honda CL-90
2003 Ducati DS1000SS Ultra-lightweight Street Roadster
1999 Ducati 750SS Frankenstein with DS1000SS engine
2000 Harley FXDX
2007 Harley FLHXI
phoenix76rb

Postby WaiNYC » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:47 pm

phoenix76rb wrote:Very inspiring! I've been away for awhile. It was nice to see this thread. Coincidentally, I just finished laboriously and painstakingly removing, cleaning, and replacing the choke plunger on my Skorpion just last week, discovering on my own many of the issues you brought up in this thread!

Tim

I have always liked the Skorpion because of its agility, good looks, and uncommon marque. But now, after I have gotten anatomically intimate with it :lol: I like it so much more.

Did you install a Yamaha plunger? I did, after losing the choke assembly's spring. But the plunger is blocked by about 1 mm by one of petcock's screws. To engage the choke I have to pull the plunger downwards and outwards, a maneuver that I am quite uncomfortable with. I plan to shave away a small bit of the plunger handle to make pulling it out easier.

Do you have this problem too? How do you deal with it?

Pix Choke plunger.jpg
WaiNYC

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:02 pm

The stock petcock is garbage and will restrict fuel flow at wide open throttle settings if you get on it long enough to drain the bowl. It just can't flow enough fuel. The Acerbis universal will fit and should allow you to operate the plunger without modification.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby WaiNYC » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:30 am

edfmaniac wrote:The stock petcock is garbage and will restrict fuel flow at wide open throttle settings if you get on it long enough to drain the bowl. It just can't flow enough fuel. The Acerbis universal will fit and should allow you to operate the plunger without modification.

How fast is it when throttle is wide open?

I am very safety conscious and usually only ride with the flow on highways -- max 70/75 mph. So, maybe this is irrelevant to me. But I do plan to go to the track maybe next summer to stress out the bike.

BTW, I was doing around 60 mph today and the tach read about 4000 at fifth gear. I suppose that's normal? Is there info anywhere that correlates gear-to-speed-to-tach?

And, how do I know if my bike's fuel mix is "right" -- not too lean or rich? I had followed spec and did 3 turns on the pilot screw. But is that all? I suppose, for my present purpose, I want to max out fuel economy.
WaiNYC

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc