ETZ 250 Rear Brake

ETZ(including Kanuni), ETS, ES, TS, IFA-RT, BK, Saxon,

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

ETZ 250 Rear Brake

Postby Andy_C » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Are these pretty useless or is there something you can do to improve it?

Mine is adjusted as per the book - shoes centralised etc but is sadly lackiing in power.
Andy_C

Re: ETZ 250 Rear Brake

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:40 pm

hay andy may i pull your LEG sadly lackiing in power. describes most everything about any bike less than 500cc

made before 1980
:smt023 :smt040
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Blurredman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:49 am

My rear ones have always been pretty good even with crappy shoes..

How about you adjust the leverage at the brake end so that a lot less travel is required to bite?

Or perhaps even changing the shoes I guess..
1972 MZ ES250/2 - 16,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1990 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Andy_C » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:06 pm

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:hay andy may i pull your LEG sadly lackiing in power. describes most everything about any bike less than 500cc

made before 1980
:smt023 :smt040

I like your sense of humour David :smt005

Having owned a Skorpion I have to admit to actually prefering the 2 strokes which is a bit odd.
Andy_C

Postby Andy_C » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Blurredman wrote:My rear ones have always been pretty good even with crappy shoes..

How about you adjust the leverage at the brake end so that a lot less travel is required to bite?

Or perhaps even changing the shoes I guess..

Tried that - the only thing that I have not yet done is change the shoes - so they may well be worn.

Problem is that if I reduce the travel too much the brake drags - at least the front disc works well !!

New rear tyre going on soon so I'll take a good look at the shoes while it is apart - probably just put some new ones in anyway as they are inexpensive - any recommended make, or just MZ standard ones?

Cheers
Andy_C

Postby Guesi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:18 am

I sell Ferodo Brake shoes. They are far better than the MZ original or some chinese aftermarket brands...
You also can use EBC brand...(they are the same than Ferodo).
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby Andy_C » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:54 am

Guesi - thanks for the info, I'll bear you in mind when I look at the rear brake.
Andy_C

Postby AlanJ » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi Andy,
I don't want to seem to be telling you how to suck eggs, but I thought this post might give an opportunity to mention about braking and weight transference and the fact that whatever one does to slow the motorcycle ie. close the power or use either of the brakes then weight transference occurs and the back wheel will have less friction on the road, it will skid sideways, not good obviously, so, if you get your back brake to lock on it might not be to your advantage, again , it's obviously got to work and stop the rear wheel from rotating, finally. Anyway I have found a great site about braking and thought to add it to this post. Tips for braking on a motorcycle - Lazy Motorbike www.lazymotorbike.eu/tips/braking. it's a Dutch site. I'm sure you know about all this but some people don't, so there you go.
Take care All Alan.
AlanJ

Postby DerekR » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:51 am

That's an excellent site Alan. Must pass that on to my daughter who has yet to learn to ride - doesn't like grumpy old Dad teaching her things!
DerekR

Postby Andy_C » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:49 am

AlanJ wrote:Hi Andy,
I don't want to seem to be telling you how to suck eggs, but I thought this post might give an opportunity to mention about braking and weight transference and the fact that whatever one does to slow the motorcycle ie. close the power or use either of the brakes then weight transference occurs and the back wheel will have less friction on the road, it will skid sideways, not good obviously, so, if you get your back brake to lock on it might not be to your advantage, again , it's obviously got to work and stop the rear wheel from rotating, finally. Anyway I have found a great site about braking and thought to add it to this post. Tips for braking on a motorcycle - Lazy Motorbike http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/tips/braking. it's a Dutch site. I'm sure you know about all this but some people don't, so there you go.
Take care All Alan.

Thanks for that Alan - I'll take a look
Andy_C

Postby Guesi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:46 pm

I disagree wih this site.
The best way for an emergency braking is using both brakes.
By the way this is a impulsive reaction for most of the motorcycle drivers.
Not braking the rear brake will mean giving away brake power...
And the theory of braking the rearbrake to bring more weight to the front wheel is a little bit crazy...
Braking the front wheel will do this far more better....
And there are more physical mistakes on this site.
For example : I have never seen that:
" if you are less lucky, the rear wheel will move passed the front wheel."
as long as the steet is a straight road.

I was an instructor for safety trainings for motorcycles for over 35 years, so I think I know what I am talking about.
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
Guesi

Postby AlanJ » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi Guesi,
Sadly I feel there is a possibility that you did not look at all of the site in question ie.It mentions the use of both brakes using the rear first to get weight transference to use the front to better effect it does not say you do not have to use your rear brake, and just in case it crossed your mind I was not suggesting to Andy not to buy Ferodo brakes from who ever is selling them, and I will mention that I have been riding bikes for 63 years and I feel in general it's a good site. Take care All Alan.
AlanJ

Postby Guesi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:21 am

Hello

why should your post have anything to do with buying or not buying ferodo brake shoes ?
And I think I read the whole site.
There you find the following:

Why no rear brake?

It is very difficult not to slam the rear brake in an emergency situation, and especially to let the rear brake go in time. If your muscles get tense in such a situation, the tendency is to push the rear brake hard with your foot.

That will result in a locked rear wheel. If you are lucky, it will slide from left to right and back, and if you are less lucky, the rear wheel will move passed the front wheel.

In an emergency situation, you don't want that.

That's the reason for the advice not to touch the rear brake in an emergency stop.
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
Guesi

Postby AlanJ » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:36 am

Hi Guesi,
What is being said is about right I am saddened to see that some of the site is said with gentle emphasis on the rear sliding one way or the other. You know very well that's what happens. It's the same with any vehicle that is moving at speed, and as soon as you slow down using throttle or brakes ,you get weight transference and so obviously you loose traction on the rear, eventually. You do not have 2 discs on the front and usually a smaller disc an the rear for no reason and ABS on a car or bike is biased to the front. Anyway Guesi, wish you well and I will not post any more about this subject it has got too personal.
Take care All Alan.
AlanJ

Postby Guesi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:06 am

Hello

You are right.It is too personal without any reason...
I will also stop posting on that matter...
Maybe someone else can tell us his opinion about emergency braking.
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
Guesi

Next

Return to Vintage Motorcycles