660 Skorpian, new to me

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

660 Skorpian, new to me

Postby toecutter418 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:38 am

Well to be honest, it's my girlfriend's bike, I'm just the purchaser and mechanic! Anything specific to look out for or good things to mod? The bike is pretty solid although the last person in the carb managed to pinch the CV diaphragm, lose the diaphragm spring, pinch the vacuum hose clamp between the intake rubber and head. Also the fans were inoperative from the fuse holder falling apart/ melting on the header. The side stand was bent to all hell up at the pivot, so the bike would lean over at a scary angle whilst on the stand, working on fixing that. Always a fan of the big yamaha thumpers and also built a tigcraft race bike years ago, so seemed like a good fun bike to add to the collection.
Dean Middleton
Atlanta, GA.
toecutter418

Re: 660 Skorpian, new to me

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:46 pm

welcome
do remember to clean the filter behind the float needle in the carb

and be careful with the float pin people have broke the pin holding stem when removing the pin

last tank of gas before parking for winter use the no ethanol gas
so its not a fight to get started ..better yet if weather good tale it for a spin every week
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby toecutter418 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:37 pm

David, thanks for the info. It gets a little nippy down here in the winter, but she's a hardy girl and ride's year round.
toecutter418

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:05 pm

Best easy mods in my opinion are getting the carbs working right and jetted right after removing the snorkle from the top of the airbox and replacing the stock air filter element with a high flow filter. Nothing is a direct fit but you can make one with the stock filter frame, some fuel friendly silicone and a cut up aftermarket Ninja 500 filter. If you want to do any performance related stuff other than that, pull the headers and grind the excess metal off of the fat welds. But hands down the best performance mod would be putting better wheels on the bike. It's not easy unless you are knowledgeable in the area, but you can lose something like 12 to 15 lbs of rotating mass with a wheel swap. That gives you better braking performance and better acceleration. A Brembo master cylinder is also a nice upgrade. They are so much more smooth than the stock unit.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Return to 660 cc