Vario adjustable pegs

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Vario adjustable pegs

Postby Bertram » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Listers: I have recently purchased a 1999 Sport Cup, with very low miles (1053). The previous owner bought it in 2002 from the Dealer who was shutting down his business. He has maintained the bike, and I will have to replace certain items ie: tires, and other consumables due to age. I took it out yesterday for its maiden ride, love pretty much everything about the bike. Except I discovered the peg position (lower setting) is a bit to high for my aging knees to handle. I have looked on this forum topics from the past. I see that the Vario adjustable peg may be a solution, that can work for me. I went to both Twisted Throttle, and the MFW web sites. Neither one specifically addressed the MZ Skorpian. Anyone out there have any experience with the pegs? If so what was the part number or size I can order. I will wait out until the Holiday season is over before making a purchase. MFW is doing inventory control for a week, so I doubt if they will be answering any questions. Any help would be appreciated from any Sport or Sport Cup owners. I am aware that this is a rare egg of a bike, here in the States. I have always had a soft spot since the 660 line of bikes was introduced. Just never pulled the trigger, when MZ was a viable entity.

Cheers Bertram (99 Sport Cup, 94 Silver Star Gespann)
Bertram

Re: Vario adjustable pegs

Postby droy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:44 pm

MUZ sourced al lot of Yamaha parts from that time, including the engine of course.

I've used FZR600 and 1000 footpegs as a direct replacement for both the front and rear in the past.

Let us know how it goes.
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
1995 Sport (Converted to Tour)
1996 Sport (Café Racer Project)
1996 Tour (Track Day Project)
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Postby Bertram » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:49 am

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas. I went out and bought the Vario adustable pegs parts and will be attaching them as soon as I figure out how to remove the existing pegs. They appear to have a permanent pin attachment, instead of a removable circlip/pin. As most peg assemblies have. Does anyone have experience out there on the best way of removal, and size of pin I would need for replacement. I probably could grind off the swagged end. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for such a dumb question.

Regards Bertram
Bertram

Postby droy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:21 am

Clark,

As I recall mine had a circlip as you said.

They should be the same as the passenger foot pegs. On those I use a 6mm stainless bolt and locking nut and that works well.

Doug
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
1995 Sport (Converted to Tour)
1996 Sport (Café Racer Project)
1996 Tour (Track Day Project)
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:57 pm

make sure it a very good bolt having a foot peg come off is a surprise you do not want
Dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Bertram » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:38 pm

Listers: Well I have gone and installed the Vario Adjustable pegs. First I removed the stock peg/bracket combo by removing the 17mm bolt that holds it in place, from behind on the plate. Remove the allen bolts holding the plate to the frame. Then I had to grind off the peened pin that holds the peg to the U bracket, by using a Dremel cutoff disc. Be careful on this operation, the pin is peened over a washer which doesn't move. I ended up cutting both off. Once the pin is driven out, I mounted the MFW Vario peg mount, purchased from Revzilla P/N P291216(for Yamaha FZR600), to the U bracket. I then used the 13mm bolt and Nylock nut that comes with the mount, reuse the stock spring. When remounting the peg mount and U bracket, make sure it is oriented correctly with the key slot on the plate. I then mounted the 23mm adjustable arm P/N291354, don't forget to use blue Locktite. I opted for the Race style peg from MFW. There are other peg options available from MFW via Revzilla. I am going out on a test ride today, to see if the 23mm arm meets my needs. If not I will have to purchase the 30mm length. I am not to concerned about giving up a little bit of cornering angle, for knee relief. By the way the stock pegs on the Skorpian is the Yamaha FZR peg. Hope everyone has a Happy and Safe New Year.

Cheers Clark Bertram 99 Skorpian Sport Cup
Bertram

Return to 660 cc