Mystery photos

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Mystery photos

Postby breakwellmz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi

Can anyone recognize these images and more usefully their origins please?-

Cheers
Attachments
top view.jpg
strut interference 1.jpg
final install.jpg
breakwellmz

Re: Mystery photos

Postby homebrew123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:39 pm

Not sure where these images came from, but the carb is way too far from the engine, and the 2 into 1 inlet manifold looks very restrictive, carb should have been mounted in the original location with other mods if determined to use the new carb. This set up is not to be used in cold weather, it would probably ice up the carb. :-)
homebrew123

Postby breakwellmz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi

It is a very, very long inlet tract as you say.
I`ve read good reports of people using single carbs on SRXs` and XTs`with Yamaha 2 into 1 manifolds.
To the other extreme did you ever read this?-
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7357&hilit=+carb
Attachments
photo25_zps47007eee.jpg
breakwellmz

Postby homebrew123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Why the need for a single carb, or is it just because you want to do it, what about the carbs from a 660 Raptor? They are fitted with twin Mikuni carbs.
homebrew123

Postby breakwellmz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Partly because i`ve been riding my Puzey a lot recently with its` Keihin semi-flat slide (non pumper) carb which has such a light and direct action compared to the Mastiffs dual carbs.
I also remembered my BSA/CCM 580 with its Amal Concentric carb which also had such a light, positive and responsive throttle.
I also like doing things like this! :wink:
breakwellmz

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Unless your stock carbs are knackered, the only thing you need to make the throttle response feel better is fresh cables and maybe a throttle tube with a better cam profile. I found a Yamaha throttle tube that reduced the throw substantially but it required some shaping with a Dremel tool for clearance purposes. Swapping carbs out to get a better cable feel is a new one on me. :lol: The factory carbs with only slight modifications are good for at least 60 hp at the wheel and respond well if tuned properly.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby breakwellmz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:44 am

Hi.

A hint of sarcasm? :wink:
Perhaps i didn`t exlain too well.
I`m not just talking about how light the actual throttle action is but responsiveness and feedback, you don`t have CV carbs on `proper` off-road bikes.It`s definitely not about BHP either!
I had an early R80GS a lovely bike apart fom those CV carbs.
CV carbs-good for dealing with an unskilled throttle hand and variations in altitude without jetting changes, but a bit like having sex wearing a condom! :)
breakwellmz

Postby Eric Frith » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:32 am

Just for information.........I raced an SRX620 for a few years and it had these twin Dellorto's on it.
Attachments
07.12.03. 045.jpg
Eric Frith

Postby edfmaniac » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:30 am

breakwellmz wrote:Hi.

A hint of sarcasm? :wink:
Perhaps i didn`t exlain too well.
I`m not just talking about how light the actual throttle action is but responsiveness and feedback, you don`t have CV carbs on `proper` off-road bikes.It`s definitely not about BHP either!
I had an early R80GS a lovely bike apart fom those CV carbs.
CV carbs-good for dealing with an unskilled throttle hand and variations in altitude without jetting changes, but a bit like having sex wearing a condom! :)

I can't honestly believe you are being serious after posting pics of that intake manifold/carb setup and then bashing the factory setup. LMAO Stock carbs are fine, especially after the diaphragm kit. If you want to feel like you are having sex while riding an MZ 660, you are going to need more than a carb and intake. ;) Bandaids with not heal a gunshot wound.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby breakwellmz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:10 am

:lol: Glad to know you have a sense of humour edfmaniac.
That setup was down to STANIMAL as you know.I remember you getting hot under the collar when he posted them, where is he now i wonder?
LMAO?

Eric-tell us more about that setup.I`ve read of people using a pair of carbs off a Kawasaki 250 Ninja twin, were they those?

Cheers

PS. How about this for sexy? :)
Attachments
krugger-yamaha-sr400-5-768x512.jpg
breakwellmz

Postby den » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:41 pm

I remember those photos, they relate to a post on here, something to do with making a carb manifold to accept twin sliders.
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby homebrew123 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:00 pm

I have a dellorto carb with an accelerator pump that came off a CCM 560/600 off road scrambler, with a rotax engine, that might be a good match for the Yamaha 660 engines. The throttle response on the CCM was absolutely amazing, I had a job keeping my hands on the handlebars when I rode it. I only pulled it apart because I was going to fit the engine into an ex army MT500 to cure the terrible engine characteristics of the army bikes with low compression and mild cam, and Amal carburettor, they ruined a perfectly good engine to make it easier for the squadies to kick start them. They would spit and fart, and I even had one spit back through the carb and set fire to the bike. I can't believe the money that the MT500 and MT350 ex army bikes are changing hands for now, I had half a dozen of them, and they were all the same, carb was the first thing to change to a jap carb or a Dellorto, but the Dellorto with the accelerator pump was way too much for the mildly tuned army engines lol
homebrew123

Postby breakwellmz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:37 am

HAROLD DID IT!!-

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5332
breakwellmz

Return to 660 cc