Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Postby motardina » Sun May 02, 2004 2:03 pm

Nice to find this MZ board, it's the only one i could find on the net, glad it's here!

My friend (new member "cat-tard") & I just bought two brand new Baghira supermotards last week, one reduced height (mine) and one regular height. We have been sportbike riders exclusively for several years but discovered the Baghira and decided to try supermoto....what fantastic fun they are!! :) Kinda brings out the :twisted: in a person mmm? :-D My first comment after getting off after the ride back from the dealership in Olympia WA (Vince's) was "This bike is going to get me into sooooo much trouble!" hehe!

Anyway, i'm off to post in the 660 forum about our little trip into the mountains here in the pacific northwest. Just wanted to say to everyone that we think MZ's are one of the best and most underrated bikes out there and we hope tremendous success for the company--that is good for all us owners. It's an uphill battle trying to get established in Norrth America with so much competition but i think the machines definately have what it takes for success.
Attachments
duotards.jpg
cat-tard's silver Baghira and motardina's red reduced height Baghira up in the mountains overlooking Mt. Rainier.
duotards.jpg (92 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
motardina

Postby 125SMash » Sun May 02, 2004 3:50 pm

welcome to the board

looking good :smt023
2002 MZ 125SM
125SMash

Postby phlat65 » Mon May 03, 2004 12:05 am

welcome guys!!!

Brian and I try to ride every weekend, parking lot racing is great fun :twisted:

make sure we hook up soon :D
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

parking-lot racing?

Postby cat-tard » Mon May 03, 2004 2:56 am

...I never raced a parking-lot before!

<nyuk><nyuk> :D
cat-tard

Re: parking-lot racing?

Postby Brian » Mon May 03, 2004 5:59 pm

cat-tard wrote:...I never raced a parking-lot before!

<nyuk><nyuk> :D

WARNING...................WARNING...................CHECK ALL BOLTS AND NUTS ON THOSE MACHINES THAT CAME FROM VINCE"S
ESPECIALLY THE FRONT END !!!!!
I did a header off my bike because Vince and his crew did not tighten my front rotor bolts and one fell out, caliper spun back on my rotor locking up the front end causing me to fly over at 30 mph's about the 6th or 8th time I used the front brake, had 11 KM's on the machine at a time.........
pm me with a good daytime number and I will give you the whole deal !!!
Is the red one the one he had in stock ?????
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby cat-tard » Mon May 03, 2004 8:49 pm

Well, the red one does have something funky going on with the rotor - but it looks like shipping-damage to me - the rotor buttons are bent and it allows the rotor part to "float" on the carrier and it's not *supposed* to be a full-floating rotor! Vince seemed nice enough when we went down there for a test-ride - hopefully he will take care of her.

...we got mine from "L&D racetech" in Astoria... and those guys seemed pretty OK too - until I noticed how hard it was to startmy bike after it got hot... turns out, it was over-filled with oil by about 1/2 quart. Some of the fasteners on my bike seemed a little loose as well - but after reading this thread, I went back and checked the front and rear rotor-bolts and all is well there.

ANYway - thanks for the heads-up!
cat-tard

Postby phlat65 » Mon May 03, 2004 11:15 pm

I think any rotor with buttons is full floating.....
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby cat-tard » Mon May 03, 2004 11:40 pm

phlat65 wrote:I think any rotor with buttons is full floating.....

Yeah - I thought so too... but that's not how it works. The kind like come on the Baghira as OEM are called "semi floating" and the idea is to allow the rotor part to expand and contract seperately from the carrier-part (that's usually made of aluminum) so that you don't get the cone-effect like the early Jap "superbikes" used to suffer from. They aren't "full floating" because they are not designed to have any travel/play in them... if you grab a set of EBC full-floating rotors you can see what I'm saying... ANYway - the full-blown full-floating rotors hafta be regularly inspected and the buttons hafta be replaced quite frequently as well... the OEM-style "semi floating" rotors are not designed nor intended to allow for replacement of those buttons.

...at least that's my understanding of the whole thing - I could well be wrong.
cat-tard

Postby Brian » Tue May 04, 2004 1:19 pm

cat-tard wrote:Well, the red one does have something funky going on with the rotor - but it looks like shipping-damage to me - the rotor buttons are bent and it allows the rotor part to "float" on the carrier and it's not *supposed* to be a full-floating rotor! Vince seemed nice enough when we went down there for a test-ride - hopefully he will take care of her.

...we got mine from "L&D racetech" in Astoria... and those guys seemed pretty OK too - until I noticed how hard it was to startmy bike after it got hot... turns out, it was over-filled with oil by about 1/2 quart. Some of the fasteners on my bike seemed a little loose as well - but after reading this thread, I went back and checked the front and rear rotor-bolts and all is well there.

ANYway - thanks for the heads-up!

Mine was overfilled too, I have left it that way thinking its no big deal.... those bikes do not like any throttle starting..... hot or cold.... my is easy to start :wink:
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Return to Main Lobby